Monday, August 30, 2010

the princess and the frog oodles and oodles of frogs

Apparantly it's the season for frogs (or toads or whatever), at least in our neck-of-the-woods. These little critters are e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e these days -- and yesterday evening, Les and the girls spent some time going for a walk down the street to the girls' bus stop collecting said amphibians.

I think in total they came home with 27 frogs in their various buckets.





Eww...gross!

I don't mind the odd one crossing my path here and there -- but to see oodles and oodles of frogs all together, jumping over each other in the pails right on my driveway was quite disgusting for me (don't worry, they all got released later that evening).

Apparantly there was some level of the 'eww' factor for Joelle too -- even though she had a lot of fun 'playing' with them. Later that night she woke up a few times crying, and when I went to check on her, I discovered that she was having bad dreams about lots and lots of frogs being in her room. She refused to sleep under her blanket -- thinking that would put her at a higher risk, I assume -- and just had a really hard time settling down.

This happened 3 times in the course of an hour and a half. The poor girl was terrified of a frog-attack! I don't blame her...it was pretty creepy.

I think we are putting the kai-bosh on mass frog-collecting ventures from now on. If a night of nightmares is what follows, it's just not worth it. Not for my little princess.




8 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

so cute...J would be in heaven. 15 and she still loves her frogs.

pam d said...

I often find myself dreaming about what happened during my day, especially if it was something out of the ordinary. When we started potty training A, I think I dreamed about potties and peeing for about 5 nights straight! So Joelle isn't alone. :) It's just too bad that it wasn't pleasant dreams.

LaughingLady said...

It's like the Egyptian plague, I'm tellin' ya! They seem to have stopped coming up into the sump pit and basement (thank goodness ~ I've had enough surprise frogs in my laundry to last a while!), but they are still EVERYWHERE around here, too. It's just such a wet year. I think normally, they stay close to the few waterholes that stay all summer long, but this year, every stinkin' dimple in the ground has been a waterhole all summer long!!

Colleen said...

Ewwww. . .same thing happened to me with nightmares about worms when I was about 7. . .it's seeing them writhing all together that sparks the bad dreams I think!

Kathy and Carl said...

That is a crazy amount of frogs! Can't imagine if you have the misfortune of riding over one with your bike. EW! Hopefully Joelle can have sweeter dreams tonight.

Kelly said...

We have the exact same story only with caterpillars a few years ago. Lyndsy collected 100's of tent caterpillars and that night she had a dream that a caterpillar was climbing on her pillow. Funny thing was at first i wasnt' sure it was a dream. She was so sure and I figured maybe one had actually come in on her shoes or something... But it was just a dream. Kids and critters are so funny!

Melissa said...

Love this one, and I actually love frogs. Too many would be a bit much though, I don't blame her for having nightmares:(

Margo said...

Eeks! Jessica has volleyball practice at Prov 3 evenings this week. Last night there she said there were frogs IN THE GYM!! Crazy! See what happens tonight...