Thursday, September 9, 2010

my new organization system

I need lists. I thrive on them. I get a lot more accomplished if I have lists to go off of than if I'm just flying blindly. But my problem is, my lists often tend to get lost in the constant mess on my countertop. Or I have multiple lists going and get distracted by what needs to get done first and things end up getting forgotten.

So I decided enough was enough. It was time to do something about this and get myself more organized. And with fall and school, now seemed like the perfect time to start a new system/routine.

I took some time last night to design a page where I can put all notes/reminders/menus for the day all on one page. And have it set up where I can see what needs to be done in what order. It's nothing fancy, but lo and behold:

This is what I have come up with so far; it actually has two days per page. My plan is to keep the current day (and following day) on the fridge where I won't lose it and also to print out a bunch of extra pages, date them and put them into a binder. That way when I need to write something down further down the road than just the next day or so, I can flip to the appropriate page and make my notes.

This is different than just a calendar. Yes, there is some stuff that is duplicated from my fridge calendar onto this sheet. But this way when I'm adding my extra notes (a to-do list for chores for the day to motivate me, or reminders of what to ask Les when he makes his daily evening phone call to me, or what meat I need to take out of the freezer in the morning for that night's supper etc.), everything can be in one place.

I do plan to tweak it a bit before I'm 100% happy with it. In fact, already since taking this picture this afternoon I have made a change. I have joined the Evening and Before Bed sections together, and have added an After School section.

I also want to get some color-coding happening. Especially for the things related to Before & After school. Both girls can get their own color that I will use so that I don't have to write their names beside the item that pertains to them. I'll just know by glancing at it.

I know I have had ideas like this in the past -- ones that sound really good and I'm determined to stick it out to help make me more organized and on top of things -- and I haven't always followed through with them. But I do love me my calendars and charts, so here's hoping!

6 comments:

LaughingLady said...

I can never make up my mind which system I like best. Most of the time I have a few notebooks AND a datebook on the go and that's just annoying. I'll have to take a closer look at your picture and give it a try.

Jamie said...

Love it! I'm a big list person too, I always have tons of lists lying around. It's a bit ironic; I have lists because I'm an extremely organized person, but having them clutter up the counters in not organized!

The Brandt Family said...

Great idea Andrea.
I thrive on lists too, and am always looking for new ideas to keep them organized and to keep them from getting lost.

Kathy and Carl said...

Oh gosh, you've got me motivated!

Because my constant list making on scraps of paper is driving Carl nuts.

TammyIsBlessed said...

Looks great!

BTW - from blowing up and reading your chart, can I just say....
COMPASSION ALL THE WAY!! My 2 cents ;) I'm email you more details

Andrea Loewen said...

Love it!! I had to laugh at a few of your entries- Thursday - make plans for saturday date night... then on Friday - boxers for saturday.... NOW.... are you planning on going boxing on a date or are these boxers for post date activities? LOL!! I think it's awesome you guys are still dating! Jon and I still try to get out regularly - so much fun! I may need to go pick up some boxers now... LOL!!

Andrea