Wednesday, October 27, 2010

God bless this child

Yesterday Joelle woke me up at 5:30am by coming into my room and saying that she was scared. Normally my automatic response is to get up and take her back to her room, tucking her in, praying for her and reminding her to think about all of the good things God has done for us instead of focusing on whatever is scaring her. You know...family, friends, a special outing coming up, a warm house...and then I encourage her to come up with her own blessings that she is thankful for as she falls back asleep.

But yesterday morning I was just too exhausted to even think about getting out of bed. So I beckoned her to come close and lean over, hugged her while giving her a quick little back rub and mumbled, "Mommy's too tired to get up today...can you go back to bed by yourself?"

I was sure that I was going to get tears and a "But Mom..." but she surprised me by saying "Okay" and quietly going back to her bed.

Then later that day as I was tucking her into bed, getting ready to say our nighttime prayers, she looks up at me with a big grin on her face and says "Hey Mom -- do you wanna know something exciting?"

"Of course I do, sweetie."

"This morning...after I went back to bed...guess what I did?"

"What?" I asked, wondering what she was going to tell me.

"I started counting my blessings."

3 comments:

andrea said...

oh...that is so sweet! you a great momma Andrea and it's rubbing off on your precious blessings!

Mamarazzi said...

beautiful!! you are an awesome mama.

TammyIsBlessed said...

So encouraging when you realize all your hard efforts are paying off - so sweet!