Saturday, October 23, 2010

it's okay to be McDifferent

**Please forgive the shallow nature that this post will initially seem to reflect...but keep reading -- I do have a point to make!**

I don't know how many of you watch the TV show Grey's Anatomy. I myself only started watching it last season -- but it very quickly became my #1 favorite show (Well...my #1 favorite current show -- we all know Friends will forever be my ultimate #1 favorite show. Just wanted to clarify...). Anyway, there are 2 male actors on that show who have been dubbed McSteamy and McDreamy. For obvious reasons.

Here is a picture of McSteamy (Eric Dane):

And here is a picture of McDreamy (Patrick Dempsey):

I can definitely get on board with that; they are certainly both very attractive men. However, I am of the personal opinion that there is another gentleman on that show who seems to be overlooked. But as I soon discovered (after posting a Facebook status to that effect), I am in the vast minority with that opinion.

Personally, I think this man (Kevin McKidd -- ha ha, just realized now that his real last name actually has a 'Mc' in front of it) is just as McSteamy and McDreamy, if not more so. Just perhaps not in a way quite as obvious as the other two. For me part of the reason I find him attractive is the personality of his character on the show. He is romantic, kind, sensitive...just an overall good guy.

My facebook status (after just finishing watching the latest Grey's Anatomy episode) read:

Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Hunt is the McSteamy/McDreamy one?

It didn't take long before there were a flood of comments telling me that yes, indeed, I am the only one. My first reaction was: Hmmm...this is a little embarrassing. Maybe I'm way out there. Am I completely crazy? Could I just be plain wrong?? So I googled images of Dr. Owen Hunt but sure enough -- I still thought there was something special about him (physically and otherwise).

Here's where the post moves away from the topic of good-looking guys and goes a little deeper. See, the thing is, I find myself often keeping my opinions to myself when I'm worried that people will disagree with me. If I feel like I am in the minority with my opinion, I translate that into my opinion being wrong.

But that's just the thing...an opinion is never wrong. It's simply an opinion. So rather than hide my opinion from people -- or even worse...change my opinion based on other people's views (which I confess, I have done before) -- I want to be able to stand firm in my personal views and beliefs. Even if my opinion is McDifferent than everyone else's.

6 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Atta girl!

I think I arrived at that point early in life. What I'm finally trying to train myself now (in my old age) is not so much that I need to be comfortable with my own opinion, but learning that I don't necessarily always need to VOICE it!!! It's tough going, I tell ya...

andrea said...

great post! you made me giggle. i agree with you tho. actually not about the man of choice but rather the fact you are drawn to this man beyond the hollywood's idea of good-looking! personally, i prefer a man that had kindness, gentleness and thoughtfulness with average looks than a dude that is gorgeous but missing his personality! so go ahead shout it from the roof top!
Still not sure why i was drawn to Tie Domi tho...

andrea said...

...tho maybe...just maybe 'Bad Boy' has something to do with it!
:)
i'll have to watch that show and check it out now!

TammyIsBlessed said...

You got it girl, you got it!

Erin said...

tho i a def a team mdcreamy girl, i do believe dr hunt is also very easy on the eyes! :) he is very passionate, and damn his patience with christina make him even more charming!
good for you for sticking with your guns :)

Jamie said...

I love this post! I have been struggling with the same thing lately, with the fear of voicing my opinion, not wanting others to disagree with me. It's good to hear I'm not alone, and good to hear you be bold about it not mattering if others disagree.