Thursday, October 14, 2010

thankful thursday ~ it's not always about me

On Saturday, September 25th my parents left for a 3 week excursion over seas in beautiful Europe. Over the years they have traveled many times for a week or two to various places (in Mexico mostly) -- but this is a brand-new experience for them. A once-in-a-lifetime trip that I'm sure they will never forget.

And it sucks! For me, anyway.

No, it's not because I have travel-envy. Those of you who have been around this blog long enough know that I have an extreme fear of flying and I vow to never get on an airplane (and as always, I will just say don't bother with spouting off the statistics -- fear is not logical!).

But it sucks because this is the longest period of time I have ever gone without seeing or talking to my parents. Two weeks has been the very longest, and even that has only happened 2 or 3 times. But this time it's 3 weeks...and yes, that makes a big difference! Thankfully they have emailed us on several occasions, but it's just not the same as hearing their voices -- and definitely not the same as seeing their faces.

At the same time, I am very thankful that they were given this opportunity -- and that they grabbed onto it and went for it.

My parents are both always doing things for us -- their children and grandchildren. They are two of the most self-less people that I know, and I know it was hard for them to think about leaving us for 3 weeks.

But they are also two of the most hard-working people that I know and they really deserved this marvelous get-away. To leave everything behind and just focus on themselves for a change. To stop worrying about work, a child or grandchild in need, or projects waiting for them around the house.

I am thankful for their safe flight there. I am thankful for the good friends that they have who went with them on this trip. I am thankful for the memories that they have created and thankful for good health. I am thankful for their safety -- as there has been mention of terrorist alerts in some of the surrounding areas where they are traveling.

Yes, I am thankful that they took the plunge to go on this memorable trip. I am thankful that they recognize that everything is not always about ME (or my children, or my siblings, or my siblings' children) and that they have every right to do something for themselves. And to enjoy every single second of it.

But I will also be e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y thankful this coming Sunday...when their flight will safely land at a nearby airport. And when I will finally be able to hear their voices again. And when I will be able to make plans to go over to their house for supper again...I can hardly wait!



**For more Thankful Thursday posts, click on the button at the top of the page**

7 comments:

pam said...

So wonderful that you have a glorious family to enjoy!

Harter said...

What a beautiful thing to be thankful for! Happy Thankful Thursday!

Cindy said...

Family is such a gift and when one is as close as yours, it's a blessing. Enjoy them!

Hope your having a blessed day.
Hugs,
Cindy

momto9 said...

you must have a wonderful relationship with them!! How blessed you are!

Denise said...

God bless your precious parents.

Mamarazzi said...

beautiful post. i love the honesty and heartbeat behind it!

i love seeing my folks get to go on trips and cruises. i know the many sacrifices they made for me and my 4 siblings and seeing them do things just for them thrills me.

even tho i reeeeeeaaaally miss them when they are gone.

andrea said...

indeed i'm jealous! i can't imagine having a parent that would just want to spend time with me and my kids. you have been so blessed!