Thursday, October 21, 2010

thankful thursday ~ mother hubbard does not live here

First of all, I want to say how much starting to participate in Thankful Thursdays has been a blessing to me. I find myself thinking of things I am thankful for so much more often than I used to -- and certainly much more often than just on Thursdays. In fact, I discover that each week I have to choose between countless things that I have come up with throughout the week that I could post about.

But this week was a no-brainer, really. This week I am so thankful that my cupboards (and fridge...and freezers -- yes, plural!) are never bare. Far from it, actually -- and I have the pictures to prove it.

Miss Malia and I went on our big monthly grocery shopping trip this morning, and as I was walking up and down the aisles I kept reminding myself of how blessed we truly are. We never have to wonder where our next meal is going to come from. As a mother, I never have to worry that my children will go hungry. Sure -- they may claim that they are s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g, but I know that they have never had a single day where they actually know the real meaning of starvation.

I'm happy that we can provide them with the security that they will always have food on their pates -- but I also like to take the opportunities where they dramatically make the claim of starvation to remind them that there are people in this world -- children like them -- who really and truly know what it feels like to starve.

As I put away my hundreds of dollars worth (!!!) of groceries this afternoon, I actually felt frustrated at not having enough room for it all. And that made me feel guilty. So rather than thinking Argh...I need a bigger kitchen and pantry, I was instead thinking Thank-you Jesus for the way You abundantly bless us with much more than what we actually need.




Please don't look too closely and criticize my food choices. :)



**Click on the Thankful Thursday button at the top of the post to view other participants.**

5 comments:

LaughingLady said...

I see the Pepsi is out front and centre in its rightful position of honour.... ;)

Full freezers, fridges, and pantries are an incredible blessing, that's for sure.

Nikki B. said...

I love it! With two teenagers in my house, I often wonder where all the food disappears to. WE are so very blessed to have all that we need. I'm with you on reminding our children that there really are people in need - even right here in our own town. I try not to over-do that, but I think it is important that they realize how blessed they are.

momto9 said...

How fun that you are more aware of the blessings!!! It's so much more fulfilling to have thoughts of thankfulness instead of discontent!

Kathy and Carl said...

It is such a blessing to be able to provide for your children. I'm really enjoying your Thankful Thursday segments. Thanks!

Lynn said...

Oh Andi,

I adore you and your thankful heart just shines in this post. So glad I stopped here to be inspired.

You make me take a breath to see all the things about me that are a rich blessing from God. Thank you..

See you again this Thursday. Hugs. Lynn