Thursday, October 7, 2010

thankful thursday: no more negative nancy

Lately I have been somewhat of a Negative Nancy -- some of you out there have had the privilege unfortunate duty of listening to me on many of my rants in the last while. So I have decided to take the plunge; commit to participating in Thankful Thursday.

It's just what it sounds like -- where every Thursday, bloggers do a post about something that they are thankful for. I am hoping that by committing to even ONE positive post a week will help get me on the way to a better attitude. About everything.

So it begins today. And I start with my stove.

Just over 9 years ago, as Les and I were preparing to start our married life together, we were also working on furnishing our first home. My father-in-law happened to stumble across a $50 stove at a garage sale...in perfect working order -- just old. We happily gave him the go-ahead to buy it on our behalf and voila! One less appliance to have to worry about purchasing.

Over the last couple of years we have started noticing a few problems here and there. Mostly with a couple of the stove top elements. We could have the dial set on a low number, yet the element would get red-hot and our food would boil when we just needed to keep it warm. We did get a repair man to come take a look at it last year, and he did replace a part to help us fix that. Of course it cost more than the $50 that the stove did to get it fixed, but we figured it was better than having to dish out hundreds of dollars for a new one.

However, it didn't take long before the problem started occurring again. It was an inconvenience, but it just meant that we needed to keep a closer watch on things we had on the elements. No big deal.

Then over the last several weeks, I was beginning to notice that it was taking a really long time for the oven to pre-heat. But eventually it always got up to temperature, so I thought perhaps I was just getting extra impatient or something. Until last week when I had our meal in the oven for over half an hour and it was still cold.

Huh. I guess it wasn't just my imagination and my impatience. Clearly there was now a problem that could no longer be ignored.

After putting a status on my Facebook about the failing oven, I had a cousin respond that they were looking to get rid of their still-working oven, as they were getting a new convection oven in its place. What perfect timing! Five days later we picked up the offered stove and voila! A replaced stove -- for free!

To be honest, I was sort of happy when our stove busted -- I thought it was the perfect excuse to finally get a brand new oven. You know, a flat top one that maybe even had a working timer on it and everything! Yes, my mind was already picturing something new and pretty sitting in between my cabinets.

So what am I thankful for? Well, I'm thankful for Facebook obviously! :) But more than that, I am thankful for helpful offers from friends and family when we need it most. Even when it is 16 years old. For as much as I wanted a sparkling new appliance, the new tires we had to put on Les' truck two weeks ago weren't really going to allow room in our budget for that.

I am also thankful for our original stove. That for the low cost of $50, it provided us with 9 years of almost problem-free cooking and baking. It was a big help when starting off our life together to be able to cut corners as much as we could to get our home up and running.

It may be a small thing, but it reminds me that God cares about even the small things. Like a stove.



**Click on the picture at the top of the post to read what other people are thankful for today.**

7 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Hey, welcome aboard! I started for exactly the same reason ~ to force me to LOOK for things to be thankful for and focus on those rather than everything else. Sometimes it's a bit tougher to spot the blessings, but they're always there! And free/almost-free ovens DEFINITELY qualify!!

I love how God cares about the little details of our everyday lives. You know, little things like being able to bake yummy stuff for our families to eat!!

Harter said...

Welcome to Thankful Thursdays! How wonderful that God provided you with a working stove... for free! Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

andrea said...

so much to be thankful for and God cares so much about every part of our lives! you do the math...you've saved lots of $ and blessedto have amazing friends willing to help in such tangible ways!
i'm thankful for you!

Pia said...

God does care even the tiniest details of our lives. what an amazing God we have! love your post.

God bless.

Denise said...

Welcome to thankful thursday, so glad you have joined us. I really enjoyed your thankful post.

Rita T. said...

Loved your post!

Lynn said...

Hi Andy,

I am hoping that by committing to even ONE positive post a week will help get me on the way to a better attitude. About everything.

It will change your life. That's a promise. Loved reading about your life and the stove and FB... You are fun.

Happy TT and see you again this Thrusday. Hugs, Lynn