Thursday, November 18, 2010

thankful thursday ~ an apple a day

I spent the day in my daughters' classes today -- Kindergarten in the morning and Grade 2 in the afternoon. And as busy as my week has been and how very much I would've preferred a quiet day to myself at home, I am thankful that I have the opportunity to volunteer.

My work schedule is such that I work the majority of days that both girls are in school -- Malia goes Mondays, Wednesdays and alternating Thursdays while Joelle obviously goes every day. But I managed to arrange it that I never go in to work on a Thursday. So while there are 1-2 Thursdays a month where the girls are both in school, 1 of those Thursdays is when I choose to volunteer in their classrooms (and when there is a 2nd Thursday a month where they are both in school...well, I claim that bad-boy as a much needed ME day!).

I am thankful that not only do I get to help out their teachers, but that I get to see them in their classroom environment. I don't know about your kids, but when I ask my girls about what they did in school that day, their response is less than informative. I'm often met with "I dunno," or "I forget." So actually being there to see their routine and what they are all doing with their time is really helpful.

I am thankful that my kids think it's exciting that I am in their classes. They're not at the age (yet) where they are embarrassed of their Mom, and it's so sweet to see their faces light up with pride when I walk in the room and their classmates say "Hey! That's Joelle's Mom!"

I am thankful that my kids are both really good listeners when they are in class. And yes, some of you may argue that kids are different when their Moms are around to watch them...but just ask their teachers -- they really are not putting on a show for me! They just do a lot better listening to authority other than their parents. :)

I am thankful that I get to know, on some level, the kids that they spend their time with. They may have their close friends over for playdates, but they still spend a lot of time with other kids that they might not really talk about at home and it's nice to put names to faces.

I am thankful that I get to watch how their teachers handle the class. How they handle the hyper kids, the misbehaving kids and the sensitive and shy kids. And especially how they handle my kids. And not only am I thankful that I get to observe this -- I am extra thankful that I like what I see!

Oh yeah...and I am bountifully thankful that I only volunteer once a month! When you're not used to an environment with 25+ kids, it's sure exhausting being there for the whole day.

Which brings me to my final note of thanks for this week...I am thankful that I am not a teacher!



**Click on the picture at the top of the page to visit this month's hostess and to read what others are thankful for this week.**

4 comments:

LaughingLady said...

AMEN! (to pretty much all of the above!!)

I think it's great you're willing to volunteer once a month, and I'm sure the teachers appreciate it, too.

LAURIE said...

Loved your TT post! Your last line made me chuckle, teachers need more volunteers like you! Happy TT!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Got that right!

Kathy and Carl said...

Oh, I wish I had the opportunity to volunteer in my kids' class. It's just something that is not done here. And I would have to agree, being a teacher to little ones (because honestly, you need A TON of energy!) is something quite amazing.

It's great also to see that your girls are good listeners and students.