Sunday, November 14, 2010

works for me!

Awhile back I posted about a new organizational system that I started to help keep me more on top of my day-to-day activities. I thought it was time for me to give an update on said system and let you know how it's working for me.

In a nutshell? I don't know how I ever survived without it! Seriously, I use it very faithfully every single day...sometimes I worry that I depend on it too much and I will never know how to remember anything on my own ever again!

But really, I can't get over how useful this system has been for me. All of my lists of reminders, to-do lists, etc. are all on one page, broken down into different times of the day to help me locate things quicker and see which things need to be done when. From reminding myself to return a movie at the video store, what I need to talk to Les about when he makes his evening phone call, to making sure I remember to get Joelle to practice piano, to what forms I need to send with the girls to give to their teachers, and everything in between. It has been a complete life saver.

I even made some new tweaks to it just this very evening. In my original post about it, the picture it shows is just one generic day planner form. I used this blank form every day and just filled it in accordingly. Now I have made new sheets for each day of the week and right away typed in some of the things that occur every week on that specific day. Here are my examples (click on the pictures to view it bigger):



I found myself having to write things like "home reading", "practicing piano", etc. over and over and over again on each day's columns. Now every Monday & Tuesday prints out looking like this already, and I just have to add in the items that are particular to just a one-time occurance.










Same thing for Wednesdays & Thursdays. The things that happen every week on those days are already filled in automatically, leaving room for me to add in other items. This way, for example, I won't ever forget to add in my reminder on Thursdays that it's Garbage & Recycling day.






As for the page with Friday's date on it...previously on the right hand half of the page, I had it split between Saturday & Sunday but that often didn't leave me enough room.

So now next to the Friday section, I have a blank list of weekly reminders. These are things that I want to get done during the week that don't necessarily have a specific day or time for me to plug them in to yet. For example, I know I want to bake banana chocolate chip muffins this week, but I'm not quite sure when will be the most ideal time. So for now I will put it on this page's list and then I can figure it out as the week goes on.




And now Saturday & Sunday each get their own columns. Not only that, but I have changed the formatting for these days to get rid of the slots that aren't necessary for weekends -- such as "School Reminders" and the "After School" section.

And there you have it. Now all of these templates are saved on my computer, so when I need to print out a new batch of day planners, all of this work is already done for me!



All in all, I highly recommend a system like this. Anytime I think of something that I need to do in the somewhat near future, I head to my day planner and write it down. If I'm talking on the phone with someone and they want me to email them a recipe, for example, I will immediately write it down in "other notes/reminders" to make sure I don't forget. The examples are endless proving how much I love this new system. I'm glad it didn't turn into a "do-it-for-two-weeks-and-then-abandon" project. I've been using it for 2 months already and don't see myself abandoning it anytime soon!

Let me know if you end up trying something similar to this and how it works for you!

2 comments:

TammyIsBlessed said...

Thought of a suggestion, which you may or may not like, I dunno.

Laminate the pages (or put them in sheet protectors) and write on them with a dry erase marker - then you don't need to print them out every week, you can just erase them and start again.

I'd like to see pics of a filled up page :)

Kathy and Carl said...

I love the idea! Gosh, I could get something like that for myself. I always write stuff on scraps or on the calendar, but this sounds way easier. And I like the laminating idea. I get shivers of excitement!