Tuesday, December 14, 2010

if it's the most wonderful time of the year...

...then why do I feel so miserable? I can't be the only one, can I?

The cold, dark days. The never-ending sicknesses spreading like wildfire everywhere you go. The busy schedules -- which may consist of a lot of fun things but end up tiring everybody out, especially the kiddos...which then results in crankiness all across the board. Ugh, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong -- I love Christmas. Always have, always will. But every year I start to feel this way and I wonder: Shouldn't Christmas be placed at a different time of year when things are naturally more merry and bright? Like, summertime perhaps? What's the point of trying to squish the joy of Christmas into these not-so-joyous weeks and months? It seems like that would make a lot more sense to me.

BUT...then again, perhaps Christmas is placed at just the right time of year. Afterall, Jesus initially came into the world to bring us hope. What better time to remind ourselves of that hope than now? I have always found it interesting that the shortest day of the year is just a few days before Christmas. After December 21st, the days s-l-o-w-l-y start getting longer again and we start to feel a sense of relief; of hope. And we know that the darkness won't linger forever...but rather that light is on its way.

And Jesus' birth was the start of that hope.

Yes -- the more I think about it...the more I like having Christmas exactly when it is.


3 comments:

LaughingLady said...

What a great way to look at it! I love it!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Though not a huge fan of the early evening darkness, as long as the sun is shining, I find winter to be quite beautiful - especially when there's hoarfrost around.

That being said - a beautiful way to look at it, especially the days that you're struggling with the gloominess.

andrea said...

well put! this season is crazy...partly our (society and us personally) faults but there's nothing quite like HOPE!!! best news this world has recieved yet....i need to embrace it!