Thursday, December 9, 2010

thankful thursday ~ i can see the light!!

For the past 5 1/2 months, I have acted as a single mother from Monday - Friday. My husband works for a heavy construction company, and they go where the work is. So starting in July, the work was 2 hours away. It doesn't sound incredibly far, but when you work until 8:00pm it hardly makes sense to drive the 2 hours home only to go directly to bed and get up at 5:00 the next morning to do it all over again.

Almost 2 years ago, he had his first out-of-town stint right smack dab in the middle of winter -- but it was only for about 5 weeks. This time it's been for over 5 months. Big difference. Huge, actually.

But we are nearing the end of this particular job -- at least until spring when they have to go back to finish things up after the thaw. In fact, we are so very close that tonight is my last night sleeping solo.

I am happy to say that I handled this past almost half-year (yikes -- it sounds even longer using that terminology!) with strength, courage and a good attitude. Of course I had my moments, but I managed to keep most of those between me and God. Not that I didn't feel I could share them with anybody...but I thought that perhaps the more I talked, vented, or complained about my situation, the worse off I would feel. I didn't want to bring more attention to it than what was necessary.

In summertime I dealt with mowing the lawn, watering the flowers & garden (all things that Les would normally be doing) and holding down the fort through a few bad thunderstorms that I would rather not ever have to go through -- alone or not!

In fall I dealt with everything back-to-school, including Malia's very rough adjustment to Kindergarten. I had to also adjust to a new work schedule on my own. I went to bed alone every night and woke up alone every morning (well, Monday - Friday, that is). I had to miss out on many an opportunity for a weekday evening outing, my running schedule was very poorly affected...and I was pretty much just exhausted day after day after day.

I had to figure out how to cook decent meals for one adult and two children. It's amazing how much more you slack off in the kitchen when your hubby isn't home to cook for. I had to deal with a few sicknesses, many bad dreams (the girls'...not mine), whining & fighting children and the constant feeling of loneliness. I had to confront my return of depression -- that I didn't tell anybody about until just now -- and I had to tell it that dealing with it at this particular time was just not an option.

I had to take on the beginning of winter -- the snow shoveling, the decisions about whether or not to go out in stormy weather. The dark and dreary evenings. Alone, alone, alone.

I had to battle some tough friendship issues without anything but phone conversations with my hubby to get me through. I had to go through day after day after day without getting a hug when I needed it.

I know there are lots of people who have gone through the same thing -- and even much, much worse for a lot longer. But while I seemed to be very strong throughout the entire process...now that the light is at the end of the tunnel, I feel like I'm falling apart. I feel like finally I can allow myself to feel the way I wanted to feel for the last 5 1/2 months. I couldn't before, because I had to be the one to hold it all together here at home. But now that we are nearing the end, the stress that was inevitably building up on my shoulders and in my heart is coming to the surface.

And I am crying. Yes, some of my tears are tears of joy. But most of them are tears for the past several months when I didn't allow myself to release them. When all I could do was push them away and concentrate on just making it through one more day.

And now that's all I need to do...just make it through one more day. One more quiet evening, one more lonely night. And tomorrow the tunnel that we have been journeying through will be behind us. And for that I am very, very thankful.



**Click on the button at the top of the page to visit this month's hostess and see what other bloggers are thankful about this week.**

7 comments:

Amy said...

Bless your heart!!

I am doing the happy dance for you!! :)

Melissa said...

Good work persevering through it all, it's amazing to see that God challenges us with situations that we know we could never have managed without His help, only to draw us closer to the ones we love and to Himself.

I am not looking forward to Tim being in Ontario next year for 6 months but I will continue to trust, and let tomorrow worry about it's self. Today has to much too offer I don't want to miss a moment of it!

Tiff said...

As the wife of a former Airman, I completely understand. We weathered a 5 month deployment a month after our fourth child was born. It was my only holiday season without the man I married. It totally sucked.

I'm thankful you are finally at the end of this long stretch - may your comfort be complete. :-)

Erin said...

Wow!! And I complained my Hubby had an extended schedule of 3-11!! Nights are hard when your doing it all alone. I'm glad it's almost over for you
Love that t-shirt logo :)

TammyIsBlessed said...

I've got some tears in my eyes too now, where did that come from?!

I'm so glad this tunnel is soooo close to finally being over.

LaughingLady said...

I well understand that feeling of overwhelming relief at knowing everything won't be resting on your shoulders anymore. I definitely experienced that when hubby was up on the ice roads those two winters. So glad for you this is finally over ~ and that you managed to handle it so well. I'll admit you did much better than I thought you would in the beginning!! :)

I said a special prayer for you and Les this morning that HE wouldn't be overwhelmed by you suddenly unloading everything onto him, but rather that the transition would be a smooth one and you'd both be happy to get back to normal. Also that you'd both get back into your former routine with ease. (minus the depression though!!)

Kathy and Carl said...

Oh, what a time to go through on your own! I can't imagine single parenting like that for so long. But hallelujah, it's almost done and you can return to Monday-Sunday partnering with Les.