Thursday, December 23, 2010

thankful thursday ~ the invitation

Today, as I'm sure is common with a lot of bloggers participating in Thankful Thursday, I am thankful for Christmas.

Not for the presents, the lights, trees and decorations. Not for the baking, the family gatherings and the music.

Of course those are all well and good -- and yes, I am thankful for all of those things too, to a certain extent. But today I am thankful for the single act of God becoming human in the form of an innocent baby.

I love how God decided to bring Himself down to earth; down to our level. Not our level of sinning, of course, but to be able to relate to us better. He sent His one and only Son to be brought into this world in a lowly manger of all places. There was no royal entrance for this King. No fancy sheets, no party or parade, and certainly no servants ready to wait on Him hand and foot from the moment He was born.

Just a simple manger. An ordinary girl as a Mother (who was far from ordinary when all was said and done, of course!). And a small baby shower consisting of a handful of strangers and animals.

He certainly was not given the entrance that He deserved. But I think that was the whole point. He wasn't supposed to be given the royal treatment. He was supposed to understand what it was like to be fully human, while at the same time still being fully God (a concept I don't think I will ever be able to grasp). He was supposed to be able to relate to us.

What a wonderful gift. Not only the gift of a Saviour -- but a humble Saviour who knows what it's like to walk in our shoes. And above even that...a Saviour who would grow up to die a torturous, painful death. All for me. And all for you.

I am so thankful for this amazing event in history -- the greatest story ever told -- that allows me to have eternal life. I have a future in heaven with streets of gold to look forward to all because of this very special baby.

Yes, I will celebrate with lights, music, trees, presents, food and family. But the most important part of this holiday season is the reason we celebrate it to begin with. The birth of baby Jesus. And I am so thankful that I get invited to the birthday party every year. You're invited too -- will you come?

1 comment:

Kathy and Carl said...

Yes, I'm so thankful too. The kids thought it was just the coolest thing to think that God would want to come and live as a human; get dirty, lose his teeth, ride a horse, do chores. Quite amazing God we serve eh?

Merry Christmas to you and your family Andrea.