Thursday, December 16, 2010

thankful thursday ~ it's not easy being green clean

I love a clean house. Those of you who often frequent my home might find that hard to believe. But loving a clean house and actually having one are two very different things! Not to say that my house is always a disaster -- but more often than not there is unwanted clutter, crumbs on the floor, smudges on the windows & mirrors, dishes in the sink, shoes not put away, laundry baskets scattered around...and the list goes on.

But on the rare occasions where things are actually all put away and things are de-cluttered and clean? Wow, does it ever make a difference in my mood.

Take today, for example. I left for work this morning knowing that my house was in disarray...and I came home to it in the same state. And I was grouchy. So I decided to do something about it.

And now? Well, I didn't get around to cleaning the entire house -- not even close. But the things that I did accomplish sure put a smile on my face. It's a very obvious difference, both visually and how it makes me feel mentally.

So today I am thankful for a (partially) clean house. I am thankful for the burst of motivation that I got late this afternoon and into the early evening that allowed these small home improvements to be made.

*Note: Photo is not from my own home.*

And I am thankful for the reminder that sometimes all it takes is an hour or two of uninterrupted time to get a lot accomplished. And for the reminder that it's worth every second of every minute of those hours. I'm thankful that tonight I get to go to sleep in peace, knowing that I gained back at least a portion of control over my house's condition.

And I am thankful that tomorrow I have another chance to kick my bad habits to the curb and start creating new ones.

2 comments:

andrea said...

i so agree with you! i too love a clean house. So far, i've been pretty good with up keep but seeing as i downsized and brought 4truck loads to the thrift store before we moved. i do find it a huge challenge lately just keeping up! shall we do Fly Lady agian?

Melissa said...

My house is totally a reflection on how I feel, I totally understand how it can affect frame of mind and mood. I try to do a major clean once a week and then just tidy the rest of the time that way it never gets "overwhelming"

Happy cleaning, for me it's therapeutic!