Thursday, December 2, 2010

thankful thursday ~ lucky number 7

Change can be a wonderful thing. That may sound surprising coming from somebody like me -- somebody who craves routine, structure and...well, and NOT changing things up.

Yet I have realized in the past year that sometimes doing something different than what you've always done is perhaps better than what you might've thought. Even after you've hit the 30-year-old mark and are more unlikely to make changes.

Today I am referring to that little snooze button on the alarm clock. I used to think people who actually used that button were utterly ridiculous! Why in the world would you bother waking yourself up earlier than necessary when you knew full well upon setting your alarm the night before that you would take advantage of the snooze button? It made absolutely no sense to me. I would rather get every last minute second millisecond of straight sleep than wake myself up only to doze off again for 7 minutes. Again and again and again. I would always set my alarm for the last possible minute, and within 3 seconds (literally) of the alarm going off, I would be out of bed and headed into the bathroom. No prolonged laying in bed...afterall, there wasn't any time for that!

But the key words here are "used to think". 'Cause guess what? I am now a very faithful user of the aforementioned button myself. The only mornings I don't use it are Saturday sleep-in mornings (when the alarm is not used at all) and my work mornings. I need to get up at 7am on Mondays & Wednesdays for work, so in order to utilize the snooze button, my alarm would need to be set within the 6 o'clock morning hour and I would just rather not see 6 as the first digit in my alarm if at all possible. :)

But Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays? Yup -- you can bet I am hitting the snooze button one or two times, guaranteed.

I'm not sure when exactly I changed my thinking on this technological option -- or how I got led to it -- I just know I'm thankful that I did. There's something about waking up to your alarm knowing that you don't need to get out of bed that very second. There's that moment of relief when you know that you can afford the time to hit that snooze button and get a few more minutes of shut-eye.

The majority of the time I fall right back to sleep for those last 7 precious minutes. But on the days when I don't, I find it's a pleasant way to start my day. I can use those few minutes to think about how my day is going to pan out, what I'm going to wear and remind myself of those items I need to add to my "to-do" list for the day. Or I just use the time to clear the fog that had settled over the course of the night.

Either way, I am very thankful for the discovery of the benefits of those seven minutes (once or twice over). I am thankful that I am not always completely resistant to change -- even as I am getting older. I am thankful that not only was I open to changing my stuck-in-a-rut ways, but that I can even admit that I like things this way much better!

So, Mr. Snooze Button -- thanks for being patient with me and for welcoming me with open arms when I finally realized what I was missing!



**Click on the button at the top of the page to visit our hostess and other thankful bloggers.**

3 comments:

LaughingLady said...

I NEVER used that button before I was married either. For the same reason you mentioned ~ it just didn't make sense! But I'm guessing it has something to do with our hubby's habits....

Andrea said...

It's good to embrace change. I don't use an alarm clock unless I have a flight to catch, but it and the snooze button come in handy for getting my daughter moving in the mornings. Thanks for reminding us that change isn't always bad.

momto9 said...

I'm one of those snooze button haters:):):) And over 30:):)