Sunday, January 16, 2011

kitchen kid-chen duty

I don't know about the rest of you Moms out there ~ but I have a tendancy to let my kids off the hook with a lot of things simply because it's easier that way.

Having them clean up after themselves from meals is one of those things. Up until just a couple of weeks ago, they had to clear their dishes but they would just bring them to the counter and I would finish the job by scraping any leftovers into the garbage and loading the dishes into the dishwasher.

But not anymore!

It's something so simple that they are more than capable of doing...so why not just let make them do it? Sure, sometimes it's a bit messier if something doesn't quite make it into the garbage can. And the dishwasher may not get loaded e.x.a.c.t.l.y the way I would do it...

But it's not about making things easier for me. It's about doing my job as a parent to start teaching ~ and enforcing ~ more responsibility.

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Good job! I think when I went back to school it made me care less about how it was done and more that it was being done. I knew I was going to need all the help I could get in order to make it all work. I KNOW things would have been different had I not gone back to school but I know my kids are more responsible because of it. Besides, how are we going to teach them if we don't let them start somewhere??

Gin said...

Given my current living situation, I can only tell you how thankful you will be down the line that you're teaching this to the girls NOW. Good for you!!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Right on mama!

Kathy and Carl said...

Good for you! It's hard to give up control, but it's about teaching them to have responsibility and seeing how it totally blesses them to know they are an integral part of the family.

Although, I will tell you that I always hold my breath when they are doing the dishes!

Margo said...

Good for you! SO many times while my kids were growing up I would remember James Dobson's words, "Never do for your kids what they can benefit from doing themselves".

Jenn said...

I love your final sentence:
"But it's not about making things easier for me. It's about doing my job as a parent to start teaching ~ and enforcing ~ more responsibility."