Saturday, January 22, 2011

searching for the good

There is a natural tendency to get down at this time of year ~ specifically right around now (Blue Monday either falls on January 17th or January 24th this year...there seems to be some debate on the actual date).

I know that January and February are certainly the toughest months for me (other than celebrating my birthday, of course), and it's so easy to just wallow in the negative things that come with this time of year.

So I thought I would come up with a list of things that are positive about the winter months, since no amount of wishing them away is going to make spring come any quicker. It's a short list, but better than nothing...

#1: No severe thunderstorm watches or dreaded tornadoes to worry about.

#2: No mosquitoes, spiders, or mouse-sized creatures like this roaming around.

#3: With the sun waking up so late, I get to witness beautiful sunrises instead of sleeping right through them like during the summer months.

Alright ~ that's all I've got (for now). But if I come up with more, I'll be back to share them with you! What are some things you can think of that can turn these gloomy months into something special?

3 comments:

Sheila said...

It is so hard to tough it out, with a thankful heart, these frigid winter months, hey? But I believe in having the colder seasons makes us appreciate the warmer ones that much more!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Christmas! But that's over already ;)

If you start a Disney/Stars on Ice tradition, there's something to look forward to.

You could wear a cardigan every day if you wanted to.

Jamie said...

All of your reasons, plus hoar frost! And being cozy in warm sweaters (although you can wear those on cool summer evenings too!) And after a long cold spell, how those mild winter days feel so good even if you still have to wear all the winter gear to head out.