Friday, January 14, 2011

'twas the night before christmas my birthday

Today is my last day being 31 years old. I have now lived in the 30's for two full years, and I gotta say -- it just keeps getting better!

Last year I posted some things I accomplished when I was 30 and I followed it up with a list of things I wanted to achieve as a 31-year-old. Here is a quick re-cap of what my goals were for this year and how I did with them.

1. I want to lose another 20 pounds -- which will hopefully bring me down to a size 7 or so. I have already gone from busting out of a size 16 down to a 10/11, so I know that it's possible.

And the result? Success -- and then some! I had lost a total of 43 pounds when the new year began, and I made it all the way down to 73 pounds which is of course a 30 pound loss over the course of 2010. That was at my ultimate lowest, however ~ and realistically I am holding a 70 pound loss (which is still above & beyond the 20 pound goal). As for the size 7 ~ another success! My wardrobe of pants consist of a variety of sizes starting down at size 2 and going up to size 9 ~ but the majority are sitting in the 5-7 range. It's still amazing to me when I go shopping that I can actually be looking in those smaller sizes. Sometimes I still catch myself automatically going to the 15/16 section before I remember that I don't need to do that anymore!

2. I want to run a 5K race in June and a 10K race in September, both here in my small town.
Again ~ success! With a slight twist. The 5K race I was intending to run in June in my small town didn't end up happening this year. I was very disappointed when I heard that, since that was supposed to be my 'practice' run for the 10K I was to run later on in the year. But, I did end up running in another 5K race with several of my neighbours in support of another neighbour battling colorectal cancer.

But the 10K race that I had planned went without a hitch. Well...I shouldn't really say that, since I was slightly disappointed in how things went. But I ran it, nonetheless, and was proud of myself for that.

3. I want to read through the entire Bible. I started this already on January 1st, as I am doing it together with a group of women and I am really excited about this new venture.
This one didn't happen the way I had planned. Okay, it didn't really happen at all...at least not past March! I posted here about my struggles with it, and I ended up doing nothing -- not even the devotional books I was talking about doing in its place. Royal failure on this one!

4. I want to gain (and keep!) control of my house. So often, I fall behind on laundry and house chores. You may not think that it's really a big deal -- but to me it is. I am constantly stressed out in my own home and I want to change that. I want my home to be a place of refuge for me. I want to be able to walk through my door and feel relaxed and at peace; not all full of stress and anxiety. I want someone to be able to drop in unexpectedly and not be embarrassed at the state of my home. I would love to go through every drawer, cupboard and closet in my house before I turn 32 and de-clutter and organize my home from top to bottom.

Well...I don't think any of you would be surprised to hear that every drawer, cupboard and closet in my house is NOT de-cluttered and organized. But I don't think I'm going to consider myself a failure in this area. I have developed/improved some good habits -- like making my bed on a daily basis and drastically improving on folding and putting away laundry, just to name a few. I have also organized some drawers and cupboards and I feel like I am slowly gaining better control. In April I tried joining FlyLady, and while I did pick up some good tips from her, I didn't stick with the 'program.' I have re-signed up for the emails and while I don't necessarily plan on officially following her, I do like to get some motivation and ideas from her.

5. I want to teach myself how to play guitar. I have one sitting in my living room (borrowed from my sister) but it's just been tucked behind my couch for many, many months. I've always wanted to learn this instrument, so this is the year that I dust it off and make it a new talent of mine! In fact, I would even like to go so far as to play it in church before my next birthday.

I had one unofficial lesson from a friend of mine many months ago, and then I haven't touched the guitar since then. Shame! On! Me!

There were other things about being 31 that I discovered/accomplished, however. Like learning how to BBQ, being open to changing things about myself (here and here), and showing myself ~ and others ~ that you can still rock it in your 30's! I also ~ believe it or not ~ wore a bikini for the first time in my life! No pictures of that to share though. :)

Okay, so this now bring us to the things I want to accomplish this next year as a 32-year-old.

1. I want to continue to main my weight between 138-143 pounds.

2. I want to run a 10K again in September...in 1hr 5 minutes (or less).

3. I want to attempt the Bible read-through again. Even if it ends up taking me 1.5 ~ or even 2 years ~ to actually get through it...that's better than just up and quitting.

4. I want to continue to organize my house. I think what I really need to do is just buckle down and create a "101 things in 1001 days" list. I think my goal was too general and I just didn't know where to start. But if I break things down into specific thing ~ like right down to organizing my gift bags into Christmas, Babies, Birthdays, etc. ~ I will be more prone to actually doing more.

5. I still really want to learn to play the guitar. As in really, really. So it's going back on my list!

So it sounds pretty much similar to last year. That's actually a bit boring. But there are other things I want to intentionally work on in my life. So continuing on:

6. I want to spend more time playing with my kids. Just because they have a constant playmate in each other, it doesn't mean that they don't still need time with their Mom.

7. I want to continue on with my prayer journal. This, I'm sad to say, has fallen by the wayside in the last month or so. With Les having been home and off work for 3 weeks over Christmas, my routine of doing it right after I put the girls to bed got thrown off. I still have yet to pick up the routine, but I'm going to need to re-figure it. Les may be back at work, but {thankfully} he's not back to working out of town. This means that he is now often home before the kids go to bed. So rather than me putting the kids to bed and sitting down at the dining room table to pray while Les is watching TV in the living room, I will need to just go to my bedroom and close the door so I can still have my peace & quiet and not lose focus.

8. I want to put myself out there more with relationships. I will admit that I'm not much of a 'play-date' kind of gal. I could do an entire post about that alone ~ and maybe one day I will ~ but for now I'll just say that I much prefer getting together with friends without the kids. However, this has proven to almost cost me some friendships, so I will try to work on this. I need to learn to be more of an initiator in friendships and not always just wait for someone else to do the asking.

9. I want to focus more on being positive. So often I just want to complain when things aren't going my way. Either to my Mom, to a friend, and even on the wide world of Facebook. I will still continue to vent about some things to those that are close to me ~ I think that's unavoidable ~ but I can start choosing to pray about things before I right away complain. And my goal is for the entire year of me being 32 years old to not post one single negative thing on Facebook.

10. I want to try to think before I react. I am a very emotional person, and I wear those emotions on my sleeve. Sometimes I react off-the-cuff, before giving myself a chance to think about things and rationalize them and allow myself the chance to calm down. Sometimes saying nothing is truly the best option.




So there you have it. I think that should keep me pretty busy in the next year! I'm not saying I will be perfect in all ~ or any! ~ of these goals. But I think you're never too old to try to better yourself and these are the ways I have chosen to challenge myself in the coming year.



2 comments:

Krista Nicole said...

Those look like great goals! Happy Birthday Andrea!

Pamela said...

Awesome!! You have accomplished so much in the last year. Happy Birthday!