Wednesday, March 9, 2011

give it up

Lent begins today, as Ash Wednesday, and continues until Easter -- which is late in April this year. Now, I don't pretend to know a lot about the season of Lent as I have never participated in it before. But the gist of it is giving something up for 40 days in preparation for the Easter season. Some say the 40 days is related to the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert. Some say the idea behind sacrificing something you love is to help us relate to God's sacrifice of his Son at His crucifixion.

I haven't done enough research on my own to really understand the details and meanings behind it all, but I have decided to participate this year. I have toyed with the idea in years past, but could never really think of something I could give up that wouldn't then result in me just replacing it with something else just as negative, time-consuming or unhealthy. I could give up Facebook...but then I would likely just replace time normally spent on there by perusing more blogs. I could give up Pepsi...but then I would likely just indulge in more chips & chocolate to help me get through the 'shakes.'

See my point?

But this year I think I found the winner. I am giving up my scale for Lent. For some of you (probably a lot of you) that may not seem like a very big sacrifice. But for me, it's H-U-G-E. As I've talked about before -- and just recently in a March Mania post -- I am obsessed with my scale and typically weigh myself 4-6 times a day. Minimum. I have been curbing that a bit in the last week or so, but it will still be a big challenge to not step on it for days at a time.

This is something that I can not replace with anything else negative, unhealthy or time-consuming (at least that's how I figure it). But I can replace it with positive thoughts about who I am and what I am worth. I pretty much use the numbers on the scale to dictate how I should feel about myself, and in turn that (among many other things) determines what I think others feel about me. It's all lies though, and my hope by taking my scale out of the equation is that I will turn to Jesus more and get my feelings of self-worth from HIM and Him alone.

I am still debating about relaxing the rule on Sundays. The period of Lent is really 46 days with the idea that Sundays aren't included, therefore making it a 40 day deal. Part of me really wants to have at least that weekly check-in just to make sure things don't get out of hand...but another part of me wants to just say forget it for the entire 46 days. What do you think I should do??

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I say give it up for the full 46 days. You'll know by how your clothes fit. If you like, I can store it for you so you're not tempted. :)

Margo said...

Good for you Andrea! I've never done the Sundays off. I kind of don't think that was part of the original idea, though I haven't done a lot of research either. My vote would be to go for the full experience! Your clothes will tell you if you're gaining, right? Enjoy the break! :)

Michelle said...

I say do the whole 46 days!!! You can do it girl!!

pam said...

I would say it's okay to relax the rules on Sunday. But only once - maybe get Les to hide the scale from you and then bring it out for one weigh-in and then hide it again. I've given things up for Lent before and I've done it both ways (including Sundays or not including Sundays) and I preferred it when Sundays were a little break. Makes it easier to get through the week and you're a lot less likely to cheat. Just my opinion...

LaughingLady said...

I think, too, that you should allow yourself to weigh yourself once a week. It's very easy to not care about self-discipline if there's no quantitative way of keeping yourself in check.

I think this is a good move, and I think Pam's comment above about getting Les' involvement if you don't trust yourself is a good idea.