Thursday, March 17, 2011

thankful thursday ~ masterpiece in the making

An empty canvas is full.
~Robert Rauschenberg

Today I'm thankful that every day I get a blank canvas. With God, at least.

No matter what has happened the day before, His mercies are new every morning. And when I wake up at the start of each new day, it's a chance for God to paint something new on my canvas.

The question is: Will I let Him hold the paint brushes and choose the colors, or will I fight for the control myself? Will I let go of how I think the painting should look and allow Him to create a masterpiece?


Will I be okay if my canvas turns out to be something completely abstract and, perhaps different than what people might expect from me? Will I be comfortable with going outside the lines for added character?

Will I just sit back and let my Creator paint what He has envisioned for me? Because, really, that would be the perfect picture.

I hope I can answer yes to these questions today. But if not, at least I know that in the morning I can try again. And again.

Until one day God has created the masterpiece in me that He is longing for.

1 comment:

LaughingLady said...

I think that's one of the main things I've learned about God this winter. Though He, Himself, is unchanging, His mercy and grace are BRAND NEW every morning! That has been a huge source of comfort over the last months.

I'm thankful He doesn't crumple up and discard the canvas if it's been a bad day! Rather, He's content to keep layering the paint, sometimes painting over entire sections previously painted, sometimes mixing the colours to create something new.... but never just throwing it out and giving up.

Oh, we have SO much to be thankful for!!!