Thursday, March 10, 2011

thankful thursday ~ springing forward

Today I am thankful for the extended daylight time we have been fortunate enough to experience lately.

It's really been noticeable for me within the past week especially. Usually we sit down to eat supper somewhere between 6:00pm-6:30pm, and instead of eating with a dark backdrop, we are now blessed to still be able to see light through our windows as we are dining.

As someone who struggles with depression ~ especially during the long winter months ~ the s-l-o-w progress of extended daylight can really be such a healing balm to the soul. The weather may still not be co-operating for almost mid-March, and while it's hard to look past that, it does give me a glimmer of hope just by the fact that it's light outside for longer periods of time.

Things will get even better in a few days when we turn our clocks ahead one hour on Saturday night. At that point, we will still have daylight until nearly 7:30 in the evening...!!!!!!! And it will only continue to get better from there.

Sure, 'losing' an hour of sleep that night isn't the most fun -- but it's totally worth it (in my opinion, anyway) to have the increased daylight in its place.

So as I "spring forward" this weekend, I will continue to be thankful for every extra minute of daylight that will come my way. And remember that inspite of what it sometimes feels like, spring is definitely on its way!

1 comment:

LaughingLady said...

Oh, me too! I am LOVING the extra sunshine and I can't WAIT to move my clocks!!

If it wouldn't complicate things so terribly and confuse me like crazy, I'd do it a day or two early! :)