Tuesday, April 26, 2011

give it up: part IV (conclusion)

Some of you may be wondering how I did with my Lent challenge over the past 46'ish days. The Lent period started on Ash Wednesday ~ March 9th ~ and ended on Easter Sunday ~ April 24th.

The sacrifice I gave up for this time period was stepping on my scale. Originally I even decided to not even weigh myself on Sundays [which is supposed to be the day you can indulge in your said sacrifice], but then I changed my mind about that ~ and you can read about it here if you missed it.

Even though I decided to allow myself Sundays half-way into Lent, I only weighed myself once in the morning. I didn't allow myself to weigh myself as much as I wanted to that day ~ which had been 4-6 times a day before this ~ just the one time.

And throughout the weeks, I didn't cheat one single time. My scale remained in the bathroom the entire time, and there were days that I didn't even notice it or think about it. But then there were days where I eyed it up, full of temptation and curiosity. But at those times, I reminded myself why I was giving it up and who I should look to for my self-worth in place of the scale.

I am happy to be able to say that even without my multiple-times-a-day-check-in's, I was able to maintain my weight throughout it all. And that's including over Les' birthday and Easter gatherings [can you say c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e]. And I feel great about myself. Even my desire to shed "the last 10 pounds" has diminished.

Well, not that I don't still want to ~ but the pressure to do so is off my shoulders, because I realize that I am just as beautiful at 142 pounds as I would be at 135 pounds. At least in the eyes of the One who matters the most! And as long as I continue to try to make healthy decisions ~ regular exercise and proper eating ~ I want to be more content with how that makes me feel, as opposed to the numbers the scale spews out at me.

I'm not saying I'm not going to have purpose and drive behind my exercising and food choices. I think the ultimate goal is still to get to a weight of 135 pounds. But my thinking has changed. I know I will be battling these last 10 pounds ~ back and forth ~ probably for the rest of my life. Chances are, I will get to that goal weight eventually. And then chances are even greater that I will gain back another 5 pounds. Then lose 3 and gain 7. So the goal is to just keep working at it, and in the whole process of it, look to God for my confidence and self-worth and not be obsessive about the scale.

Did that all make sense, or did I contradict myself? ;) I'm still trying to figure it all out, but this is the best I can describe it.

Now, you may be wondering how much I have weighed myself since Sunday morning; since the end of Lent. Well, I'll tell ya. Sunday I weighed myself two times (morning and late afternoon) and yesterday was the same. Today it is past 9:00am already and I have been up for almost 2 hours and I haven't yet stepped on it. This would be absolutely unheard of behaviour before giving the scale up for Lent and I am more than happy with how God worked through me in this experience.

If you gave something up for Lent, I'd love to hear what it was and how you did with it.

5 comments:

pam said...

I'm very proud of you for not cheating at all! I know the temptation must've been very strong, even with the Sunday check-ins. Did you talk to the girls at all about what you were doing (or rather, not doing), and why?

TammyIsBlessed said...

Way to go!

andrea said...

i didn't give anything up. thankful for allowing me to join in your journey and walk with you! i do love your heart!

Gin said...

I didn't give up anything for Lent this year. Instead, I added something. I worked at my attitude towards certain individuals in my life. It is an ongoing struggle.

Good for you! Making the healthy choices will pay off in ways you likely don't even imagine.

Angela Kroeker said...

Way to go Andrea!!