Friday, April 22, 2011

unconditional love

This is Easter weekend. And you know what amazes me? It comes and goes with far less fanfare than Christmas -- yet really, this is the most important event in history. Of course we needed baby Jesus to be born in order for this to happen.

But His birth didn't save us from our sins and promise us a place in Heaven. His death and resurrection did.

And today we remember the day that He died. I think we would mourn a lot more if we didn't know the outcome ~ that on Easter Sunday we celebrate the victory He had over death. Yet it is still important that we at least attempt to fathom what Jesus went through in his final hours leading up to his gruesome death. He may have risen on Sunday...but that doesn't mean He didn't suffer horrendously on Friday.

And He did that for you. And for me.

Have you ever noticed that Good Friday is always cloudy and gloomy? I went back to look at weather records just for the last 5 years ~ and sure enough, at least where I live they were cloudy, dreary days. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think it's a pretty impressive gesture from God. Afterall, He watched His only Son die that excruciating death on the cross. I think He mourns that incredibly every Good Friday.

Today I am going to mourn His death too. What He had to go through in order to save the people He loved so immensely. The pain He had to endure so that I ~ little ol' me ~ could have eternal life in Heaven.

He really did pay the ultimate sacrifice. He painted the perfect picture of unconditional love. And I, for one, am not going to forget that.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Very very well said!! I was just thinking the same thing about the Christmas comparison the other day.

TammyIsBlessed said...

I blogged about the exact same thing today - great minds think alike, at least occasionally!;)