Thursday, May 19, 2011

thankful thursday ~ celebrating the abc's

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending a special 'ABC Celebration' in Malia's kindergarten classroom. It's an event where the students show off how well they know their ABC's, among other things ~ like days of the week, months of the year, and various other rhymes, poems and songs. We then get to follow them around the classroom for awhile, looking at some of their schoolwork, playing games with them, having them read us a book, etc.

A lot of you may remember that back before Christmas, I discovered that Malia was behind in her letter recognition. We did a lot of really hard work in the weeks that followed to try to get her up to par with the rest of her classmates. And now she recognizes all 26 letters ~ upper and lowercase ~ and knows all of their sounds.

I am thankful for all of the hard work Malia has done, both at home and in school, to complete her learning of the alphabet. And I am thankful that I was able to attend this special presentation to see first-hand just how far she has come.

Not only just in learning her ABC's, but in adjusting to kindergarten altogether. Malia had a really tough time getting used to school, and she would wake up every morning from September straight through till December saying she didn't want to go to school. But since Christmas things have changed and she has found her niche in the classroom. I do get to see this a bit here and there as I volunteer in the classroom once a month, but often I am working one-on-one with other kids, or in the photocopy room so I just see occasional glimpses of her some days. But yesterday I was thankful to spend a solid hour and a half just focused on her. I was so very thankful to notice a drastic improvement with how comfortable she is in her classroom environment.

She truly looks like she fits in and she really looks like she loves it now. I think part of that is due to her growing confidence because she is finally 'getting' things that she used to struggle with. Our next goal is to get her more confident and improved in her reading skills. She has proved to us how much she can do if she sets her mind to it (and if we take time to make learning at home a priority), so I have no doubt she will begin to excel more in her reading too!

I am thankful for this sweet gem of a daughter.

2 comments:

andrea said...

precious times! it's so encouraging when they inderstand concepts we are teaching them...so rewarding! i completely understand!!! and being in the classroom is teaching them that they are worth your time...priceless!!

Kathy and Carl said...

I so wish I had the opportunity to help in our kids' classrooms. Such a great chance to see what they are doing first hand and celebrate in their accomplishments!