Sunday, June 5, 2011

from failure to finish

Sometimes...when I read/hear about "crunchy" people, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I hear other kids younger than my Little Miss Malia reading better than her, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I hear about people's new 'clean eating' way of cooking, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I hear about people's amazing prayer life, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I hear about people weaning their kids off of TV, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I hear people saying a certain someone has changed and is showing a different ~ more positive ~ side of themselves to seemingly everyone but me, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I put myself out there and try to make connections that don't end up happening, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I see someone's always tidy, de-cluttered home, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I hear of people adopting the "less is more" attitude, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I see evidence of other people's talents [which are far greater in number and importance than mine], I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...when I see other people's children behaving better than mine, I feel like a failure.

Sometimes...I feel like I'm experiencing an entire system failure.

Sometimes...I feel like giving up.

But sometimes...all I need are a few reminders from my heavenly Father to pick myself up, dust myself off and give it another go. Afterall, I haven't reached the finish line yet!

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
~ Psalm 73:26

Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 1:6

5 comments:

PamJ said...

That's right! There are always chances, there is always tomorrow, there is always a new/fresh start or path that can be made [even when it doesn't seem possible]... I often feel like this too when I compare myself/house/kids/family/finances/etc to others but then try to remember this is ME not THEM! And everyone is different...
Love that verse "God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever"
[hugs]

Kathy and Carl said...

Phil 1:6 is awesome to remember. We're a work in progress! It's hard not to compare ourselves to others, but be confident of this Andrea, there is NO ONE like you, and I for one wouldn't want to have it any other way!

andrea said...

wow...that's painful self talk, my dear! God created you and He thinks YOU are simply amazing! just because others may 'look' good on the outside, that is clearly not how things really are. it's interesting that we can glean the best from others and not see what they see in us!!! like your organizational skills, dependable friend, thoughtful, determined, ability to lose half of your body mass and help the rest of town to do that same...shall i go on? He made a pretty amazing gal, when He made you!

Pamela said...

Andrea. I always read your blog, I don't often comment, but I have to comment on this post. You should not feel like a failure when you compare yourself to others. You should reflect on what you do that others admire. When you show off your amazing wardrobe, I admire your fashion sense. When you show off your body wearing those clothes, I admire your dedication to healthy living and meeting and exceeding your goal. When you brag about your girls, I admire your deep love for them and it reminds me of how much I love being a Mom too. I know it's hard, but focus on what you already have and do because you are you-who God planned you to be.

Kendra said...

Thanks for your very honest post, Andrea! I think there are lots of people who think the same kinds of things, but would never say it out loud. What a great reminder to bring it back to God and what HE thinks about us, rather than what we think ourselves. I love it that works on different people in different ways, and at a different pace. Comparison is futile!