Thursday, July 21, 2011

thankful thursday ~ camping edition

Some of you may know that I just came off of a camping weekend last weekend. And some (or most) of you may also know that camping is...well, just not my thing!

But I focused enough on the negative parts of camping the week leading up to the excursion. Now that it's all said and done for another year, I figured I'd take a look at all of the blessings that came with the weekend. Yes, even I can come up with a list of things I'm thankful for about my camping weekend. :)

To start off with, I'm thankful that our tent was all set up for us by the time we got there. We were expecting to only arrive at the campsite by 11:00pm (or later), so we sent our tent up with one of my sister-in-laws, and it was a group effort to have it ready for us when we got there. Turns out we arrived shortly before 10:00pm but it was still nice to have it ready for us so all we had to do was set up our beds yet.

I'm thankful that we had blue, almost cloud-less skies all weekend long. Not to say that more cloud cover (and even a bit of rain) wouldn't have been a blessing too, given the extreme heat we faced. But it did mean that we could carry on with our outdoor activities and not have to worry about all crowding in Les' parents' camper all day, or all forced to eat in the kitchen tent all weekend. It also meant no thunderstorms, which is always something I'm thankful for!

I'm thankful for the opportunity to just be lazy for a couple of days. My mother-in-law brings all the food, and aside from some small setting up or cleaning up tasks, I can virtually just sit around on this camping weekend which is something I thoroughly enjoy!

I'm thankful for the shade that I was able to sit in to read my book. And I'm thankful for the nice chat I got to have with one of Les' sisters...which was long overdue!

(Nevermind the bandana look. I'm not a fan of it, but when you're camping and you have short hair...you need to do something to cover up the hideousness of it!)

I'm thankful that "Snuggles" was found (after Joelle having to sleep her first night without her!). I'm especially thankful that she was found since she was last seen in my not-so-protective care. I thought I had lost her for good - but thankfully she was just temporarily misplaced!

I'm thankful for the hours...and hours...and hours...of fun the girls could have with their cousins whom they don't get to see all that often. And I'm thankful that they all get along so very well.

I'm thankful for the bonding time our little family of 4 experienced all cozy in our tent at nights. Now, I'll be the first to admit - the part I dislike the most about camping are the nights sleeping in a tent (and I use the word "sleeping" very loosely!). But how often do we have family sleep-overs?

I'm thankful for the beautiful scenery that God shows us each and every day, no matter where we are. His work is everywhere around us. I am disappointed that I missed both sunsets by just a few minutes, but the evening sky was still really breath-taking.

I'm thankful for the time spent around the campfire. I may not be a fan of camping, but I am a fan of sitting around a fire. The sounds of the fire crackling, the smell of it, the fellowship you get while sitting around it. It's absolutely perfect!

But even with that long list of things I was thankful for on that weekend...I was still thankful when it was over and I could sit in the air conditioned truck all the way home! :)


4 comments:

Sheila said...

So fun!! I love camping!

LaughingLady said...

Wow, reading this... it's like I was THERE or something! Oh, wait ~ I WAS!

Awesome weekend, wonderful weather, great family, too much food... couldn't ask for anything more, really! Well, except maybe electrical sites and a camper with A/C!! ;)

Colleen said...

Beautiful Andrea:)

TammyIsBlessed said...

The glass looks so much better half-full!! Some wonderful memories were made in that scorching hot weather :)