Wednesday, September 7, 2011

it's the most wonderful time of the year

I always l-o-v-e-d school growing up. From the school supply shopping to the labeling, to a new year filled with new friends, teachers and experiences. And we can't forget having a daily routine!

Thankfully my girls - Joelle especially - seem to have taken on my love of school and they've been looking forward to going back for weeks now. New gym shoes were purchased, new school clothes, requests for their first lunch were taken, hair-do's were decided upon...what's not to love about all of that?!

I know there will come a time where the draw-backs will start to seem like they out-weigh the good things - like the daily lunch-making, no more sleeping in, etc - but that's when we look forward to inservice days and holidays! When all is said and done, I love the school year.

And this year I am enjoying it for an additional reason as well - some alone time! Other than my 2 years of maternity leaves, I have been a part-time worker anywhere from 1-3 days a week since having my girls. Different circumstances have affected my schedule - from work flow to child care to financial situations. But I have always worked at least a little bit.

When Malia was in pre-school, I had one short 2.5 hour time-slot a week where I had me-time where both girls were in school and I was not at work (actually, only 3 times a month, as I used one of those mornings a month to volunteer in Joelle's Grade 1 class). Then last year when Malia was in kindergarten full days on Mondays & Wednesdays and some Thursdays - I worked both of her set kindergarten days. The Thursdays that she was also in school (once or twice a month) were days when I wasn't working nor did I have the girls at home. But one Thursday a month I spent volunteering at the school all day - and on the few months where there was a 2nd Thursday a month where Malia was in kindergarten, I had that full day to myself. I think that worked out to about 5 days in the whole school year.

And now? Well, my (current) work schedule is Tuesdays & Thursdays from 9-3, which means that I now have THREE DAYS every single week where I am at home without the kids! It leaves me time to volunteer in their classes, have a bit of free time to do what I want, and get things in this house taken care of that have just fallen by the wayside for far too long. It's a whole new world for me now and I am looking forward to exploring the possibilities!

But enough about me - the first day back at school is really about the kids...right??



Here is my sweet Little Miss Malia all ready for her very first day of Grade 1 !!

And my first-born Joelle getting ready to head off to Grade 3 for the first time!!

My sweet, sweet girls.

I am praying for a great year for both of my daughters as they start this new chapter in their lives. I wonder what the year will bring in the way of friendships, learning and personal growth. And I am curious as to what this upcoming year holds for me as well. Prayers are welcome as we all find our footing in our own new experiences this year.

3 comments:

Kathy and Carl said...

I'm sure they had a great first day and a good start to the year. Praying for you too as you have more free time to do the things that you've been wanting to do for a while.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful girls!!! That mommy free time - priceless! Enjoy it cause you deserve it!
-Jackie

TammyIsBlessed said...

I just bet you're pumped about the free mommy time!

I still have a ways to go on that one, but shoot, for me, having just 1 around almost feels like free mommy time after 4! ;)

So glad your girls love school, just like us!