Wednesday, September 14, 2011

i've got the music in me

Lately - in the midst of my 'funky' life - I have really started to realize why I surround myself with the type of music that I do. Probably 95% of the music I listen to is Christian music. Unfortunately I can't get reception to our local Christian radio channel at work (for whatever reason), so for 5 hours twice a week I listen to secular music.

And don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that secular music is bad (at least not all of it). There are lots of catchy tunes out there and a lot of songs are ones I can relate to. I'm not bad-mouthing secular music.

But I am happy that for the majority of the time, I choose to surround myself with the positive lyrics of my faith. And now more than ever, I am seeing the benefits to that.

Today while out-and-about in the city running errands and doing grocery shopping, everytime I was in my van driving to my next location I would hear song-after-song that just spoke straight to my heart. In my deepest time of need.

And as I would sing along to these heart-felt lyrics, I would cry. Tears of sorrow for the hard time I am going through...tears of joy for the knowledge that in Christ I am made whole...tears of gratitude for the encouragement that comes from listening to these songs.

I have a handful of songs I'd love to share with you - but for right now, I'll just share this one. I've only heard this song a few times so far, but it has quickly become one of my favorites. It's called "Do Everything" by Steven Curtis Chapman. For those of you who don't like to take the time to play through a music video due to slow computer connections, the lyrics are written below the video. I encourage you to read through them and hopefully you will be encouraged the same way I have been through this song.




Steven Curtis Chapman - Do Everything

You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips
and head out the door
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you



Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do

OOoh ooooh oooooh



Maybe you’re that guy with the suit and tie
Maybe your shirt says your name
You may be hooking up mergers, cooking up burgers
But at the end of the day

Little stuff big stuff in between stuff
God sees it all the same
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you do



Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you
To do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace with every move that you make
And every little thing that you do



Well maybe you’re sitting in math class
Maybe on a mission in the Congo
Maybe you’re working at the office
Singing along with the radio
Maybe you’re dining at a five star
Or feeding orphans in Myanmar
Anywhere and everywhere you are
Whatever you do it all matters
So do what you do and don’t ever forget
to do



Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace as you do
Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace with every move that you make
And every little thing that you do



Ooh oooooh
Every little thing you do


3 comments:

LaughingLady said...

What a beautiful song! And a great reminder to "do ALL for the glory of God," which is so tough to remember sometimes with those repetitive, annoying jobs associated with motherhood and homemaking! But it's just like the story of the bricklayers working on St. Paul's Cathedral in London. They were all doing the identical jobs, but while one was "just laying bricks," and another was just doing a job to collect a paycheque, the third man proudly stated, "I am helping Sir Christopher Wren (the architect) build a magnificent cathedral!"

We sometimes have trouble seeing the bigger picture ~ and keeping it in mind! ~ but there's no doubt that we are doing something much more valuable in our everyday chores and responsibilities than just what their apparent face value is... We're building cathedrals, too!

andrea said...

i love these lyrics...made me think as i started my day today! thanks for sharing it...i heard it yesterday for the first time...but haven't really paid attention to what the song was about! LOVE IT!

Jody said...

Great song! Thanks for sharing.