Monday, October 31, 2011

halloween 2011

This year for Halloween I didn't have the energy for implementing any of my usual 'rules' for the kids who come trick-or-treating at my house. I just wanted to be relaxed and casual...besides, with the amount of kids who came a-knocking (hovering right around THREE HUNDRED!!), it didn't leave much time for questioning costumes and enforcing that every single child say "trick or treat" and things like that.

But I obviously taught my daughters well. When the girls were back from their own trek around the neighborhood to help me hand out candy to the later-comers, I had to laugh at Joelle. The first people who came to the door hadn't said "Trick or treat!" yet. So Joelle just stood there at the opened door, candy in hand, looking at them. After a quiet moment, I piped up and said "Uh...she's waiting to hear something from you," which was then followed by the dutiful quote. Atta girl, Joelle! Make them work for it! :)

This year my girls once again had two costumes - a lighter one that worked well for being at school all day, and a warmer one for the evening festivities. Turned out this year wasn't nearly as cold as it often is, but it was still nice for them to be kept warm and cozy in their costumes for their outdoor venture.

And me? Well, I was a Rockstar, of course!


Another Halloween has come and gone...but the candy will be around for a l-o-n-g time!!

2 comments:

Kathy and Carl said...

That's a good idea to have a warmer one for outside in the evening. Joel had a thin spiderman costume but for coming home, piled it over his puffy jacket. He looked like a soft middle aged super hero!

I love the rocker get up! And the girls looked like such cute lil' animals. I know, I know, they were trying to be ferocious!

TammyIsBlessed said...

You've definitely trained them well - I LOVE your Halloween etiquette rules :) I think you should submit them to the newspaper next year shortly before Halloween!

I think I dressed our kids too warm this year - oops! ;)