Monday, October 17, 2011

it's coming...like it or not

Ten signs winter is a-coming:

1. cracked, dry hands

2. wearing socks in the house

3. the calendar will switch to November in 2 short weeks

4. the heavy clouds lingering in the sky

5. the geese - oh, the geese!


6. dark, cold mornings when you get out of bed

7. finger mittens are becoming a necessity for waiting at the bus stop in the mornings

8. the slow start of Christmas lights being turned on

9. Christmas gatherings & parties are starting to get booked

10. the pictures says it all:


*****************************************

I know a lot of you will read this post and think "Ack! Don't talk about winter yet! I don't want to hear it!"

Well guess what? Living in denial about it doesn't actually prevent it from happening. Winter comes every year, no matter how much you wish it didn't. You may not enjoy it (goodness knows I sure don't!) but you can learn to accept it.

I'm not one of those who continues to wear sandals inspite of my toes feeling frozen. Or one who refuses to turn the furnace on in the house no matter how many layers of clothes I have to put on to keep warm.

It is what it is.

Acceptance doesn't mean defeat. Sometimes acceptance is the highest form of strength. I know this to be true in other areas of life - and I think it can apply to the changing seasons too.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Oh, you're forgetting some of the good ones! Like cozy sweaters, and a great pairs of boots, those HUGE fluffy snowflakes, the sun setting over all that white snow, and evergreen trees piled with snow on their branches. I think that winter in Manitoba could DEFINITELY be a lot shorter, for my taste, but I really love lots of things about winter. A lot of that love grew when we moved to camp, and were suddenly in a place where we were surrounded by people who were enjoying winter, rather than just enduring it. People come and play in the snow, and marvel at that beauty, and no matter how cold it is, everyone comes to camp to have fun in winter. Perspective makes a big difference!! :)

Margo said...

I have to say - even though our heater has been on, and I'm wearing mittens for my morning walks, I am still wearing sandals to work :P. Just so hard for me to switch to socks and shoes.