Friday, November 4, 2011

meal of the week: #10 (family favourite)

The recipe I am about to share with you is one of our family's most favourite meals. I don't make it very often, as I find it to be a bit time consuming (I prefer to wait till my Mom makes it for us...hee hee).

Nevertheless - here is the recipe for my Beef Enchiladas and Fried Rice.

1) Fry up your ground beef. Add chili powder and pepper (and onions if you're more 'normal')

2) Mix the sauce in a separate bowl. Two tins of tomato soup combined with equal parts milk. Add more chili powder.

3) Fry the tortillas. You need to use corn tortillas for this, not flour tortillas (I use 18 tortillas for a 9x13 pan).

4) Put it all together!

This can be done two different ways. I used to roll them, but now I usually just layer them. If you are rolling them, just put a scoop of hamburger meat on each tortilla (and even a sprinkle of cheese if you'd like!), roll them up and place them on the pan. Cover with the tomato sauce and top with cheese.

If you do the layering action, spread tortillas out on the pan for the bottom layer. Sprinkle on some meat, a bit of cheese and some sauce so it looks like this:

4) cont'd: Do another layer the same - tortillas, the remainder of the meat, cheese and sauce. For the 3rd layer place the remainder of the tortillas on top, use the rest of the sauce (save the majority of the sauce for this top layer) and top with cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. :)

5) Bake at 350*F for 30 minutes. I often end off by broiling it for a minute or two to get a bit of a crispier cheesy top. Yumm!!


For the Fried Rice:

1) Add a bit of oil to your frying pan and stir in the uncooked rice. Add onion powder (or real onions...again, like more 'normal' people!), pepper, Chicken OXO (or Knorr), and just recently I have begun adding Paprika as well for an extra zip (and quite a bit of it too).

2) Once fried, just cook the rice as you normally would: Add the rice to the pot of water and margarine and bring to a boil.

Serve together with refried beans and/or a caesar or tossed salad. The rice should have enough flavour to be eaten as is, but if you used 2 tins of tomato soup for your enchilada sauce, there should also be enough of the sauce in the pan to pour over your rice too.


5 comments:

J J said...

Mmmmm. It looks delicious! Next time I make them, I'm going to layer. Thanks for the tip. Rolling does take way more time!!

andrea said...

looks so yummy. i made enchiladas on thursday...oh, so yummy! i have never fried my tortillas...what are the benefits of doing that? or is it the more authentic way? and fried rice is sooo yummy! i haven't made that in years....thanks for the reminder!

Sheila said...

Mmm that looks so good! I've had the rolled up version but it was made with shredded chicken, in place of the ground beef.

Jody said...

Oh wow that looks delicious!! I'm going to make that this week!

pam said...

Mmmm, I still remember when you made this for us after Annika was born. Yummy!