Wednesday, November 9, 2011

till my puzzler is sore

A couple of weeks ago, Joelle and a friend started a 'new' 500 piece puzzle that we had recently acquired. Together with mine and Les' help, we got a decent portion finished that morning and it's been laid out on my kitchen table ever since.

Just waiting to get completed.

I've tinkered around with it here and there in the last several days, but the problem is that the lower portion of the puzzle is just so darned tricky.

All of those pinks and purples blend into each other so smoothly - it's next to impossible to figure out which pieces go where.

There have been times where I'm tempted to just clean it up and get it off of my table. "I'll never finish it," I think to myself. "It's just too hard."

The thing about working on something that's so difficult though is that when you do find victory - even if it's just a small dose - it's worth so much.

Every time I find just one matching piece - after sitting there puzzling for half an hour - I seriously start doing a little jig at the table and I get so excited. It's so rewarding to know that I didn't give up. I kept plugging away at it and I had success! Whereas if I'm doing one of the girls' 50 piece puzzles that are "easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy"...well, it's no big deal when I interlock the pieces with each other.

When you come to a challenge in your life, how do you deal with it? Do you just sweep it under the rug because it's too hard? Or do you take the time and effort to really work at (or through) it? If we just concentrate on the 'easy' parts of life, we don't get a lot of personal reward or satisfaction from that.

But if we work at the difficult things in our lives, once we reach any point of success - no matter how small - the feeling that goes along with it is irreplacable.

Do you have any so-called 500 piece puzzles with a ridiculously difficult landscape to put together? What are you going to do with it?

As for me: I'm leaving it out on my kitchen table until it's finished. No matter how long it takes.


(**Puzzles really seem to give me a lot of inspiration. Click here for another post on puzzles that is actually one of my favorite blog posts of all time**)

3 comments:

LaughingLady said...

I wish we did more puzzles. Somehow it seems to me that'd be a good way to spend an evening here and there instead of rotting in front of the TV after the girls are in bed.

I'm pretty obssessive when it comes to puzzles of any kind ~ it's really got nothing to do with not wanting to give up. It's like a weird compulsion. Putting it away before it's done or figured out is tantamount to failure and it just drives me nuts!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Thanks for reminding me.

TammyIsBlessed said...

You do have some great puzzle analogies - I remembered your previous post as I was reading this one!

You're so right - the sense of accomplishment after tackling something hard (no matter what it is!) is awesome indeed.