Friday, March 2, 2012

i'll keep trying

"This is the day that the LORD has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it."

I am trying really hard to be able to say the above verse - and mean it - but I have to admit that I'm not being very successful. Just to warn you, this post will be negative - so if you're not wanting to read about someone complaining, you should stop now.

We are in the second day of March and it is snowing like crazy over here. It's a winter wonderland at the time when I want nothing more than to see signs of spring. Sure, yesterday things were melting and there was the beginning of spring in the air. But today we take 10 giant steps back.

People keep saying how we shouldn't be complaining this year as we have had a very mild winter and hardly any snow (until the last couple of weeks anyway). And yes, I know I should be grateful for the break in freezing temperatures the way we are so used to getting around these parts.

But winter is still winter, regardless.

Mild temperatures? Sure, we've had 'em for the majority of the season. But it's still winter. You still need winter boots, jacket and mitts to head outside. You still can't have your windows open. You can't sit on your front porch and read a book. You can't go for family bike rides. You can't go play at the park.

And next to no snow? Yup, that's been the case around here this winter. And while I have enjoyed not having to do much shoveling, it's also been hard for the kids. With too much ice & snow to keep us from doing spring activities, yet not enough snow to really be able to do much in it...it hasn't been very ideal either.

But aside from everything I already mentioned - winter is still winter because it's dark and dreary. The days are so short and once darkness falls, I begin to shut down. I can't even properly describe how I feel when the sun sets and I am surrounded by darkness. I have every light on in my house to try to somehow combat the way I feel.

And to top it all off - NOW it snows. We've had more snow in the last couple of weeks than we've had all winter...by far. NOW, when I so desperately need to cling to the promise of spring. NOW, when March is upon us and we're supposed to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

NOW, when I had plans to take the kids to visit their Dad for supper and the evening tonight to try to break up one of his long absences, the road conditions are absolutely dreadful and we had to cancel.

Yes, this is indeed the day that the LORD has made. I will keep trying to rejoice in it...

3 comments:

LaughingLady said...

{{hugs}} And prayers. ♥

Margo said...

I often quote this verse as I wake up in the mornings...especially the hard mornings. Hang in there! Love you!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Hang in there. The days are getting longer, spring WILL come!