Saturday, March 24, 2012

i'm one of 'those' kind of people

"I'll use it 3-5 times a week," was my promise to myself when I brought home my brand spankin' new treadmill at the beginning of the year. I saved up Christmas money, extra money from working extra hours and money that I made from selling some of my personal belongings and had to hardly use any money from our own budget to bring home the beautiful machine.

And I did use it a few times a week...for about the first two weeks. After that it lessened to about twice a week...then once a week...and now I haven't set foot on it for I don't even know how long.

Yup, I turned into one of 'those' kind of people. The ones who buy a treadmill and let it turn into a dust collector (as if I don't already have enough stuff in my house to do that!).

In my defense - I bought it in the middle of winter. How is that a defense, you might ask? Well, I had already been out of my running routine for a couple of months, so to get back into running on a treadmill when all I've ever known is outside running was a bit tough.

I think - and this is just a thought - that once I get back into outdoor running now again that spring has sprung, it will be easier to hop on the treadmill on days when it's raining or when it's far too scorching hot, or when Les goes out of town again and I can't leave the house to run.

At least that's the plan!

I went for my first outdoor run of the season just last night and it felt A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. It was tough, no doubt about it. Even the few times when I did run on my treadmill in January and February, I really only ran probably about 1.5 miles per time (if that!). So I was really out of shape. But it still felt great.

It was the perfect weather for running. Cloudy and cool and next to no wind. And I went out at my favorite time of day for running - early evening. It was absolute perfection.

I wasn't sure what my plan was when I headed out the door for this maiden voyage of 2012, I just knew that I needed to get out there sooner rather than later before I lost my umph for running altogether. So with Les' encouragement, I slipped on my brand new runners and hit the pavement.

I purposefully left my Garmin watch at home and here's why. I knew that I was going to be slower than what I used to be and I didn't want to be constantly reminded when looking at my watch how slow I was going. I didn't want to feel forced to pick up the pace, only to over-exert myself and give up altogether. I want to first allow myself to get back into the swing of things before I start tracking my pace.

Distance-wise, I know where my mile markers are without the watch anyway. I know how far I should run before I talk my walk break. And I know how far I should walk before I start running again. Whether I ran each mile in 10 minutes or 15 minutes - I don't know. And quite frankly, I don't care.

What I do know is that I ran my regular 5km route. I ran one mile straight before I took my short walk break. Then after approximately one minute, I ran my second straight mile before taking another walk break. This second break was slightly longer than usual - I'm estimating it around 2 minutes instead of 1 minute. For a minute there, I was seriously contemplating just walking my entire 3rd mile. I figured I had already pushed myself pretty good and my legs were feeling pretty rubbery so since this was my first run of the season there was no need to run the whole 3 miles (5km).

But after my slightly extended walk break, I decided to not take on that attitude. I could run as s-l-o-w as I wanted, but I was going to run the last mile. I wanted to prove to myself that I could still do this.

And so I did! And the feeling of pride and accomplishment was so rewarding. I had missed feeling like that.

And I realized something. Sure, I may be one of 'those' kind of people who doesn't regularly use her treadmill (something that I want to work on next fall/winter when I can flow straight from my outdoor running season to indoor running without a gap of a couple of months)...but I'm also someone else.

I'm also one of 'those' kind of people - the ones who meet their goal weight and a year and a half later are still maintaining that weight (give or take a few pounds). The ones who may fall into a rut for a short time, but manages to pull themselves out again. The ones who are determined to not gain their weight back, but keep maintaining no matter what.

3 comments:

andrea said...

way to go!!! running outside is just so much more fun and less tough...maybe it's the distractions of houses and life around us rather than the numbers on the screen...slowly moving...not so exciting!!!
i am in the market tho for a treadmill...it's always nice to have! :)

pam said...

Good for you!

I'm a treadmill runner - I think I could probably count on both hands the number of times that I've ran outside. It's just not practical for me to try to run outside (plus, I like watching tv while I run). Even still, our treadmill sits idle more often than it should. But I've never regretted buying it, and it's nice to know that it's there, ready to go, whenever I want to use it.

Nataloon said...

It's inspiring that you lost all your weight and can keep it off. I so wish I could get there too. Keep it up!