Thursday, March 8, 2012

lunch monitor

This week I started something new with the girls. This has been a long time in the making but...they are starting to make their own school lunches!

They've only done it twice so far and while I know the novelty will soon wear off for them, for now they are enjoying the new responsibility. They do it right after supper while I'm cleaning up the kitchen. They do it from start to finish - they get everything out of the fridge and cupboards, they wrap their sandwiches, put things in containers, and clean everything up afterwards.


It may take 5 times longer than if I just do it myself - but it's a nice way for them to start doing something else that they are fully capable of doing (and it's one less thing for me to do every day!). I'm right there for guidance as they learn exactly what types of things they need to pack and it's also just some nice time we can all spend together. And as long as we do it right after the evening meal there isn't any rush to get it done before bedtime.

I'm proud of them for taking on this new chore - and proud of ME for actually being patient enough to start letting/making them do it!

3 comments:

pam said...

They look like they're having fun, at least for now! I never liked having to make my own lunch, and I only had to start doing it in high school. Good for you for getting them started early.

Kathy and Carl said...

Woohoo! Our kids LOVE making their lunch and the somewhat control over the menu. Yes, sometimes there have been pickle sandwiches! It's good to give our kids a bit of independence. Hey, maybe they can make your lunch! ;)

Angela Kroeker said...

So glad you shared! I have been wondering what the right age is to start teaching my kids to make their own lunches. Your girls look like they are having a blast! I know in the beginning my boys will enjoy it as well.