Sunday, March 25, 2012

my little reader

I wanted to take a few minutes to update some of you on Malia's reading. As most of you know, this little sweetheart of mine has had her share of struggles in the area of reading since she started school.

Back in November, she was reading pages like this and was sitting at around a Level 2 when she should've been at a Level 4 or 5 at that point on the school year.

We just had another term end and what did her report card show this time? That she is reading at a Level 9/10 (!!!!!) and she should be at an 11/12 at this point. So yes, she is still behind by one or two levels - BUT, she is showing that she is steadily progressing. I mean, she has jumped 7 levels in just a few months - how incredible is that?!?!

Her teacher wants to see her at grade level by the end of the school year (which is Level 16) and she has confidence that she can get there. I have confidence too. Check out how her home reading pages look these days as opposed to what they looked like back in November. Full paragraphs on each page instead of just one sentence per page!

Keep up the good work, Malia! The effort you are putting in to your reading is obvious with each passing week. I am SO proud of you for not giving up when things were tough!!

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Awesome!!! This is my favourite part of Grade 1-see my friends become readers! Jumping 7 levels is something to be really proud of, Congratulations Malia!

Kathy and Carl said...

That's great news to hear. She has a lot to be proud of!

Jackie said...

Awwww, so proud of your Malia! I can relate to her - the early years were a little difficult for me too:)

Margo said...

Yay Malia!!! Way to go!

Gin said...

That's exciting!! I really hope that she continues to enjoy reading. Malia should be really proud of the improvement!!