Friday, March 16, 2012

pardon the pig

So, I started using Pinterest last weekend and from the little time that I've spent on it I can see why people like it so much. What a great way to collect ideas! My goal is to only 'pin' things that I can realistically see myself using - and then to actually use them.

We started out with my first one two days ago at supper. Notice the little pig sitting next to my supper plate?

This little pig is used to try to improve table manners. Basically what happens is that when/if the girls exhibit a poor table manner, the pig gets placed next to their plate. It stays there unless/until the other one does something to deserve the pig next to their plate.

The catch? Whoever ends up with the pig at the end of the meal has to clean off the whole table. Usually the girls are just responsible for putting their own dishes in the dishwasher, but now if they have the little pig next to them when mealtime comes to an end, they have to clean up everybody's dishes - as well as clear off the rest of the table.

I started this the other day at supper, and guess who ended up with the pig? NOBODY!! It never moved from beside my plate. The girls spent most of the meal talking about what some of the rules should be...

No talking with your mouth full, no spitting (?), no 'schlopping' your food...We came up with all sorts of things that would warrant the pig being passed to them. And to stop the pig from becoming a toy, the #1 rule is that only Mom (or Dad) is allowed to touch the pig and pass it around.

Now we just need to give the pig a name.... ;)

6 comments:

pam said...

What a great idea! I'm going to keep that in mind for when the kids are older.

Jenn said...

Cute idea. You could call him Rudy.

LaughingLady said...

AWESOME idea!! And I love Jenn's idea to call him Rudy, too ~ very clever!

Gin said...

I love that!! We could sure use that at larger family events!!!

That's orange/almond salad on your plate, right?? I love that salad and now want to have some!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

That is totally awesome!

Kendra said...

I love this idea! That is amazing. Anika is actually in her room, this very second, searching for a little toy that can be used at our table!