Thursday, May 17, 2012

bathroom bickering

My girls have a problem. They don't seem to know how to share a bathroom. Literally every morning and every night before bed there are arguments, fights, yelling, door slamming...it's really quite exhausting. Not to mention a poor way to both start and end a day.


You would think it wouldn't really be that difficult - but it's always one thing after another...


One of them locks the other one out - sometimes it's legitimate and they need their privacy, but most of the time it's just to be a pain.

Or they race to see who gets there first and the one who wins slams the door behind them making the other one mad, yelling that "you could've squished my fingers in the door!"

Or one of them hides behind the door and jumps out at the unsuspecting sibling and scares the living daylights out of her - which never ends well.


Or one of them is front-and-center by the sink and refuses to budge out of the way when the other one needs to spit their toothpaste out.


Or one of them is brushing their hair in front of the mirror and doesn't make room for the other one to see what they're doing in the mirror.

Or one of them really needs to pee but the other one won't get out of the way.

Or one of them is just purposefully doing something really annoying just to tick the other one off.

Or sometimes one of them will claim that their "other half" put soap on their toothbrush.

ARGH!! It's seriously enough to make me want to pull my hair out. Every. Single. Day. I am at my wit's end and I have no idea how to deal with this. We have thought about making them have separate bathroom times for teeth brushing - but really, they need to learn how to share their space. So, if any of you have any creative ways to deal with this seemingly endless dilemma - I'm all ears!

Please?!



6 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Are there other things part of their bedtime routine that they could do somewhere else? We generally try to have one brushing her hair out in front of the hallway mirror while the other is brushing her teeth in the bathroom. Or sometimes we'll send one upstairs to change into her pajamas and pick out the bedtime story while the other is 'bathroom-ing.'

Samantha Steg said...

oh man, I wish I could help but I'm in the EXACT same situation! Everything you listed my girls do too. I've often thought of separating them as well but I feel like they should learn to share the space and respect each other enough to brush their teeth without fighting. Maybe it's just an age thing?? Can you imagine what it'll be like when they're teenagers and spend MORE time in the bathroom??

LaughingLady said...

I don't think that having them do different jobs at different times in different places is necessarily the opposite of teaching them to share a space. The reality is that sharing a space often involves taking turns and understanding that they must share time as well. They still learn to work together, even if it isn't literally side by side.

andrea said...

and to think they willingly sharing their room! i personally think bathroom routines for kids are unique (and as they grow become more of a private time)thus even if they are doing things together at the same time, they differ in length and momentum.
my kids brush their teeth together but everything else is in a different bathroom....just how it works here. tho if my kids can't get along, they are separated or just sent to bed.or they have to hold hands on a couch...they loathe that! LOL!!!

Jackie said...

LOL. That made me laugh! My girls do the same things...although not QUITE as bad yet...I'm sure it will just get worse as Sophie gets older! What is with girls???

TammyIsBlessed said...

I think separating their routines might be a good idea - it's still teaching them taking turns.