Monday, June 25, 2012

1000 gifts: #432 - 448

This weekend our family of 4 hit the beach - along with 100+ other family members! We went on an annual summer family gathering with my Dad's side of the family. He comes from a family of 14 (7 girls, 7 boys) so with all of the spouses, children and grandchildren of said siblings...well, the family is up to 140 people - with just over 100 of them represented at the weekend event.

We haven't been to this weekend extravaganza in several years since it is usually about a 6 hour drive to get there. But since this year it was at a much closer camp (only an hour an a half away!) we decided there really was no better time to go. It was a wonderful weekend and here are some of the reasons why:

[432] gorgeous sunny skies almost the entire time
[433] with a few cloudy breaks to allow yourself a chance to cool off
[434] nice accommodations for sleeping and eating - and even for washrooming (always an extra bonus!)
[435] a game of Scrabble
[436] two nights with ZERO mosquitoes buzzing around my ears as I try to sleep
[437] not having to cook or clean all weekend long
[438] lounging on the beach
[439] breaking in my new bathing suit (but keeping it dry)  ;)

[440] seeing familiar faces that I hadn't seen in a long time
[441] bonding time with my nieces and nephew
[442] watching my girls interact with their great-aunts and great-uncles, some of whom they have rarely met before
[443] no sunburns!
[444] Spitz
[445] a campfire sing-a-long
[446] the good memories of my grandparents that hit me while spending the weekend with the children they loved and raised
[447] that my kids are old enough to not need much help or supervision on weekends like these - I can basically just let them do their own thing and I do mine (except while by the water of course!)

 [448] coming home again to my own bed (we'll just try to not dwell on the fact that I didn't actually sleep in my own bed...I spent my night on the couch after trying for 3 hours to sleep through Les' incessant snoring...)




1 comment:

LaughingLady said...

Sounds like it was an awesome weekend (well, except for the sleeping on the couch part!! ;) ~ I missed being with my family, and the weather was certainly perfect!