Sunday, June 17, 2012

happy father's day

Well, since I wrote a song for my Mom for Mother's Day this year, I couldn't exactly leave my Dad out on his special day. So...here is the unveiling of the latest song I have written. Happy Father's Day Dad!



When I was a young girl you promised to love me
And always be my guide
You never wavered, you never faltered
You were always by my side
You always were there for me, always protected me, always let me know
No matter the journey, no matter the trials
You would never let me go

As I got older you taught me about
All the things I needed to learn
How to ride my own bike, do my math, tell a joke
Save my money and how to wait my turn
To be true to myself and trust God with my future, to pray every day
And that sometimes a hug can reveal everything
That you just didn't know how to say

CHORUS:
You taught me about unconditional love
And you told me to never be someone I'm not
You taught me about Jesus to always work hard
To be honest and kind, to be grateful for all that I have

When I was a teen and I thought I knew best
I didn't want your advice
I went my own way and I did my own thing
I didn't always treat you nice
But you waited patiently for me to realize, maybe I had been wrong
And you welcomed me back with your arms opened wide
Having loved me all along

CHORUS:
You taught me about unconditional love
And you told me to never be someone I'm not
You taught me about Jesus to always work hard
To be honest and kind, to be grateful for all that I have

MUSICAL BRIDGE:

You led by example, you lived by your words
And I always knew you would
And when you made mistakes you took the right steps
To fix things as best as you could
You showed how a father should love on his children, how a husband should treat his wife
You forgive and forget, always love and respect
And look on the bright side of life

CHORUS:
You taught me about unconditional love
And you told me to never be someone I'm not
You taught me about Jesus to always work hard
To be honest and kind, to be grateful for all that I have
CHORUS:
You taught me about unconditional love
And you told me to never be someone I'm not
You taught me about Jesus to always work hard
To be honest and kind, to be grateful for all that I have

ENDING:
When I was a young girl you promised to love me
And you have never left my side