Monday, June 18, 2012

if at first you don't succeed...

...try and try again!

And that's exactly what I'm going to be doing this summer as the girls' school year once again is drawing to a close. Last year at this time I did a long post about my goals for the summer - including chores (for both myself and the kiddos), less screen time, better planned meals & snacks, more Mom and Daughter quality time together...and much more in the attempts to make summer holidays go much smoother than they have in the past.

I know I succeeded with some of the things I had planned on, but certainly not all of them! But rather than beat myself up over it, I'm just going to dust myself off and try again. Here is a (shortened) reminder of the things I want to accomplish this summer (you can click on the link above to get last year's more long-winded version):

1. Menu Planning. This includes not only planning suppers ahead of time, but also snacks - and even lunches. Of course I don't have to stick to it like glue but it's always so wonderful having a guide to go by.

2. Keep the girls busy! I will make my annual update of my Banish Boredom Bucket of course, but with the added help of ideas I've seen on Pinterest I should hopefully be able to keep the phrase "I'm bored!" from being voiced too often. I don't have a set time of TV/Wii/Computer allowance that I will be implementing (it will depend on the busyness of our schedule, the weather, etc.) but I do want to rather make sure I come up with plenty of fun ideas that they would rather do.

3. Quality time together. Once again, I want to make a more concentrated effort to spend chunks of time with my girls. I know they have a constant playmate in each other, but that doesn't mean that they don't also need time with Mom. I need to make sure I don't always use the phrase "I'm busy, maybe later." Even if I stop what I'm doing for 15 minutes to play a round or two of Uno Spin, or paint their toenails, or bounce on the trampoline for a bit.

4. Chores! Chores! Chores! One of the things that continually drives me cRaZy is that my paid job is to clean people's houses...and then I come home to the disaster that is my own! Now, of course the houses that I clean need to be *tidied* before I get there, and that's half the battle - which is why it always seems so much harder in my own home. Oh yeah, and plus, I'm getting PAID to clean other people's houses...that makes a difference too!  :) But there is really no reason why I can't keep my house fairly organized and tidy on a regular basis - especially with two children who are old enough to be picking up after themselves AND helping me with other things around the house.



There are other things - like daily devotions and regular exercise - that I want to continue to work on as well, but these are the main ones as far as making sure we all get along, keep busy and stay on top of the house for the 10 weeks of summer holidays. With the help of Pinterest, I can get ideas and inspiration for every one of these categories. Now the goal is to actually IMPLEMENT all of the things I have been pinning! I want to use the remaining week and a half to look deeper into ideas I have already marked and get charts/lists updated and ready to go so we can have a smooth transition into summer.

No comments: