Friday, July 27, 2012

Q&A ~ Part V {and a tangent}

In my last edition of Q&A {wow - it's been almost a YEAR since you all asked me these questions...it's taken me a long time to get through them all}, I said that next up would be: What made me always want daughters, the career path I see my girls taking, my dream job and a "do-over".

But I'm going to just touch on one of those today, because...well, because I want to.  :)  And it might be a little bit longer of a post.

My sister Tammy asked:  If you could have a "do-over" for one choice you made, what would it be? (doesn't necessarily have to be serious) 

To start off with, I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent here because this topic has actually been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time. Correct me if I'm wrong but wishing for a "do-over" would be along the same lines as having a regret right?

Did you know there are people who claim that they don't have ANY regrets in life? Like zero. Absolutely none. Nada. Zip. 

They say that every mistake they made has helped shape them into who they are. 

Perhaps we have different viewpoints of what a regret actually is. But in my opinion that's a bit of a cop-out answer, is it not? The man who cheats on his first wife could say he doesn't regret it because it led him to his true soulmate. Or the girl who gives her virginity away at a young age could say she doesn't regret it because she got her beautiful child out of it. 


I'm not saying that the result of the transgression can never end with something good. But should we still not regret making the poor choice to begin with? 


And even when the outcome isn't positive...what about when you take your frustration out on your kids when you've had a bad day? Surely I'm not the only one who does that. I might learn a lesson from it that can shape me into the person I am today ~ but that doesn't mean I don't regret doing it in the first place!


I don't know...maybe I'm just envious because I can't say that I have no regrets. Believe me, I have more than my fair share of them. So to answer my sister's question:

Just one?! There are many things I would like to have a "do-over" for. Here are just a few: Everytime I overspend on my grocery budget, when I lose my patience and yell at the girls, when I talk negatively about my husband with a best friend, when I go to bed too late, when I over-eat, when I talk myself out of a run/work-out, when I make a big purchase decision too quickly and there's no going back, the decision to not have my best friend Jackie in my wedding party, the decision to not go to University after high school, letting myself get to 211 pounds...

And that's just naming a few.

But the question was for ONE "do-over" - and it doesn't have to be anything serious. So the official non-serious one I am using for my answer {I told you I would go off on a tangent}:

If I could have one "do-over"? It would be to not get myself started on chapstick! It began when I was in Bible School. I was never one to use any sort of lip balm before ~ not even lipstick. But for some reason it was a big thing in Bible School for a lot of the girls to have chapstick in their pockets all the time. And living in dorm, you share things with your dorm-mates...so whenever one of my friends would take out their chapstick to apply to their lips, they would offer some to me too.

The flavors were tasty and it felt nice on my lips. So why not?

Well, the problem was that I got addicted. As in seriously addicted. To the point where ever since then {and that was 15 years ago!!} I have had to always carry some form of lip balm with me at all times. I have tubs of Vaseline all over my house and a travel-size one in my purse.

It can be a big pain in the neck. It's not a big deal when I'm at home, or even just out for a day of shopping or an evening out with friends. I always have my purse with me. But when I go to the beach, or am camping for the weekend...I always have to make sure I have my Vaseline in my beach bag. And when I go for a run I have to make sure I apply a thick layer before I head out, only to re-apply the second I walk through the door.

There was one time when I had changed purses in a hurry, and somehow I forgot to transfer my Vaseline. Oh, the tragedy!! Les and I were out on a date night, and after we placed our order at the restaurant, I had to quickly run to Wal-M*rt to buy myself a new tube since there was no way I was going to last all through dinner AND a movie without it. Luckily the restuarant was in the mall where the Wal-M*rt was located, so it's not like I had to go for a drive to get it or anything...but I sure as heck would've if I had to!

Yup, so there you have it. My "do-over" if I had the chance. No, it's not my biggest regret by any means ~ but it's what I chose for today!

(Sorry if I offended any of my readers who have the "I have no regrets" mantra. If you seriously can say you have no regrets in life - kudos to you!)

Okay, and next time I will cover these:  What made me always want daughters, the career path I see my girls taking and my dream job.


3 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Oh man, there are SO many things I wish I had done differently, too!

I definitely have different classes of regrets though. Some I classify as real regrets because I imagine my life would be different in a positive way NOW as a result (IMAGINE being the operative word), and some are just things I wish weren't a part of my past for whatever reason. I'm a little ashamed of or unimpressed with myself because I know and understand so much more now than I did way back when, or because someone else was negatively affected by them. The regrets in this category I don't necessarily think would affect my current situation much, I just wish things had gone differently.

pam said...

If it makes you feel any better, I have a tube of lip balm by my bed, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, one in my diaper bag and one in my purse (even though I seldom use my purse!).

This might sound kind of gross, but someone once told me that if you've got really dry lips and no lip balm around, just run your finger along your nose or forehead (assuming your skin has a little extra oil) and then rub that on your lips! I guess if you're in a real bind, it's better than nothing! :P

TammyIsBlessed said...

I sure did ask a good question, didn't I?! ;)

I totally agree with you that there's no such thing as no regrets - we sure should regret the mistakes we make!

And I think you're not necessarily serious answer is quite entertaining - for those of us not addicted to chapstick that is :) Are you going to make sure your girls don't start up that particular addiction? Ha ha