Thursday, July 5, 2012

reinventing the wheel...boredom bucket

A lot of you will remember that two years ago I came up with a Banish Boredom Bucket to keep the girls busy during summer holidays when they would complain about being bored and having nothing to do. I'm happy to say that this is actually one of those ideas that has proved successful - and we still use it! I tell ya, it's nice to be able to say something like that about an idea rather than just posting the idea and then updating it later on to say it was a major FLOP!

Yesterday the girls and I worked on updating this bucket - making it prettier and a bit more fun. It was also a good craft for us to work on during the morning's really long thunderstorm where we were stuck inside. Even though the end result looked a lot nicer in my head [you know, if I had just done it all myself!], I think it turned out pretty well in the end.

Here is a picture of the original Boredom Bucket that has paid its dues. Pretty drab and boring even though it did the trick:

 And here is our pretty new Boredom Jar:

I wrote the activities on the end of popsicle sticks and we decorated the jar with tissue paper. That's supposed to be a big pink "B" on the front in case you couldn't quite make it out - with a few random blue ones thrown in there for extra flair.  :)


Joelle actually made a suggestion about how to do things slightly differently this year. She mentioned that maybe they could pick out two things from the jar and then choose between those two. I thought it was a brilliant idea so that is how it shall be!

Now to make my new chart on whose turn it is to pick the popsicle sticks and we're good to go!

No comments: