Tuesday, September 4, 2012

cleaning business

I clean houses as my part-time job. I go in to a house and about 2 or 2 1/2 hours later (for an average size house) I leave with it looking and smelling clean and fresh from top to bottom ~ all bathrooms, floors, dusting, kitchen.

And then I come back to my own house and feel jealous that everyone else has a cleaner house than I do!

But here's the difference. When I go to someone else's home to clean...they've already tidied up for me. They've done their dishes (most of them), cleared off the clutter that surely was taking up counter space. They've put away their laundry and they've cleaned up whatever array of items was sitting at the bottom of the stairs waiting to be put in its appropriate place.

They take the time to regularly tidy before I come in to do the heavy cleaning, making it a much easier job for yours truly. If I were to go clean someone's house who had NOT done that pre-tidy...well, it would be pretty difficult for me to do a proper job. I can't really tidy for someone, since I would have no idea where they wanted things to go. The tidying is totally up to the client.

As is the case with our hearts. (Did you see that coming?)

God wants to be able to come in and cleanse my heart; He longs to give me that "just clean" feeling. But in order for that to happen, I need to tidy it first. I need to clear away the cobwebs of bitterness out of the corners of my heart. I need to deal with my "dirty laundry". I need to de-clutter my heart from all of the feelings of jealousy, inadequacy, and impatience.

This process can't be done by anyone else. It is completely my responsibility to tidy the corners of my heart before God can come in and do the major clean.


1 comment:

LaughingLady said...

It IS our responsibility to deal with those things, but even there, we simply can't do it without His help. Our own human will-power only goes so far.

I love how Philippians 1:6 says we can be CONFIDENT that He will continue working on what He began in us until it's COMPLETE!