Friday, September 7, 2012

i can't help falling in love

Every year it gets me. No matter how much I say I'm going to cling to the long days of summer with all of my might...once the air starts changing, it's no use. I'm a goner. In no time I have once again fallen hopelessly in love with fall.

Of course it always turns out to be a rocky road...but what "relationship" doesn't come with its troubles?  ;)

I just can't help it though. There's so much to love about this time of year. It's a chance for a fresh start; a new beginning. I always find September more of a "new year" start than January actually. Routine begins again and life settles. It doesn't settle down by any means ~ I don't think that it ever does ~ but it just settles.

The kids aren't as restless anymore from the 10 weeks of "freedom." I know many others will disagree with me, but I think summer holidays are a couple of weeks too long actually. At least for my children it seems to be the case. I'm not even just talking about the fighting with each other part either. They just were starting to seem at a loss with what to do with themselves, as it seems to happen every year towards the end of summer holidays.

So I love that fall-time brings with it the back-to-school routine. The new clothes, the new school supplies. The new friends they will make (or be re-connected with) and the new things they will learn.

Malia starting Grade Two!!
Joelle going off to Grade Four!!

Aside from them getting to return to school, the weather starts to change. Now before you get all cranky with me, loving fall temperatures doesn't mean that I'm the one who brings them into existence. But I much prefer my fall wardrobe, so when I can put away my limited supply of shorts and tank tops (that I feel less-than-stellar in) and start bringing out my skinny jeans, scarves and boots...I'm a pretty happy gal!

Oh, and the beautiful scenery of summertime starts to change into something else equally as beautiful. One thing I love ~ although this is really more into the winter months ~ is seeing the sunrises in the morning. Sure, I can see sunsets in summer, but with my different views out my front and back door, the sunrises are the ones I can really witness in their full glory.

Then there is the leaves turning color and falling to decorate the ground. We don't have a lot of trees right around us where we live, but we still can witness them when we drive around to other places. The beauty of that sight is something that never ceases to amaze me. And it's something that just calms me.

Yes, sleeping in is now restricted to Saturdays. And sure, the days are getting much shorter already. And okay, winter is around the corner in just a couple of short months. And as much as I really hate to say it...cold & flu season will start to rear its ugly head before you know it.

But what can I say? I just can't help falling in love...





1 comment: