Thursday, October 18, 2012

a worth-while addiction

"Why are you so addicted to that sweater?" Joelle asked me the other morning when she saw me put it on for the 3rd consecutive cool morning.

My answer was something very simple, like: "Because I like it" but when I really got to pondering the why of it, I came up with several different reasons.

 

1) It's comfortable; it's soft and warm and cozy.

2) It's a perfect fit; not too big, not to small - just perfect.

3) It's a solid. That means I can wear it with patterns or other solids and it doesn't matter.

4) It's a neutral. That means I can also wear it with any color and it works.

5) And...it was really, really cheap. I got it at a garage sale for $2. Can't really go wrong there.




Yes, for all of those 5 reasons (and probably more), I am "addicted" to it in Joelle's words. So why then has she never asked me why I am "addicted" to Jesus? 

Afterall...

1) He's comfortable. His arms are soft, his embrace is warm.

2) He's a perfect fit. For me, for you...for everyone.

3) He's definitely solid. He's my rock.

4) He's a 'neutral'. Anyone of any color, background, gender, age...He's available for us all.

5) And...He's free!! His grace, mercy, forgiveness, love - all of it comes at no cost. He paid the price so we wouldn't have to.

Yes, for all of those 5 reasons (and definitely more!), I should be "addicted" to Jesus. It was a bit of a wake-up call that perhaps I'm not exuding enough passion about my Jesus for my daughter to think that I have a "Jesus addiction."

An addiction to a sweatshirt she notices. An addiction to my iPhone and computer is blatantly obvious. But an addiction to Jesus? She knows I regularly pray and sing Christian songs, and of course we regularly attend church as a family. But am I living it out on a day-by-day basis? Is she witnessing enough evidence in my life that I truly have an addiction to our Saviour?

With all of the addictions that I need to fight to stay away from...this is one addiction that is actually worth-while.


2 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Good food for thought.

Kathy and Carl said...

Something to think about....thanks Andrea.