Thursday, November 22, 2012

1000 gifts: #582

Having my husband home every evening.


At the beginning of June, Les changed jobs after 3 l-o-n-g years of him working at a job that took him away from home a lot.

When he was working locally during these 3 years he was still only home between 7-9pm which was hard enough. But the hardest parts were the 6 month stints where he worked out of town. Meaning for half of the year he was gone from Mondays - Fridays, leaving me at home to single-parent during the weeks.

Not my best times, that's for sure.

Granted, this recent job change brought with it its own adjustments and struggles. But at the end of the day I can say without a doubt that these adjustments are well worth it. It may have taken me a few months to get used to his presence every evening - even though it's what I knew I wanted and what was good for everyone, part of me still missed my quiet evenings alone - but now I can't imagine ever going back to the way it was before.

I can't imagine how I would be surviving this latest winter season without him home. How I would handle day after day after day of eating suppers without him. How I would deal with homework, bedtime routines, bickering and fighting all on my own. How I would cope with yet another quiet evening stretched out before me, all alone. How I would go to bed filled with anxiety and panic and have no one laying beside me for comfort.

The other night, after tucking the girls in bed (and of course having to stay up longer dealing with yet another issue), I returned downstairs to join Les on the couch for a relaxing evening. I leaned over to kiss him and I simply said "I am so glad to have you home every evening."

I know God provided me the strength I needed to get through those rough few years - for it really is only because of Him that I made it through - but I am thankful that that time is behind us. I am thankful that we can eat supper together as a family every single night. I am thankful that he is around to help me with the disciplining of our children. I am thankful that he is here to support me when I am having a rough day. And I am thankful that I have him next to me every night, where his sleeping body beside me is enough to calm my anxious mind.

Yes, having my husband home every evening - where he belongs - is definitely a precious gift.



6 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Indeed. (I'm still in the "adjusting to having him home all the time" phase!!)

Jen said...

Aww...this makes me miss mine even more now...

andrea said...

beautiful!

Kathy and Carl said...

That is something pretty awesome!

TammyIsBlessed said...

I am so thankful that you get to have him home every night!

Gin said...

AMEN!!! That's all I can say!