Monday, November 5, 2012

from pinned to practice: #29 & 30

I almost didn't do any new pins this week until I told myself on Saturday that I couldn't let myself start slacking off again. Surely there was something I had pinned that was simple enough to still accomplish on my Saturday afternoon.

And whaddya' know - I found TWO!




#29. The first one I started with were these baked apple chips. This is another one of those super simple recipes that really take no effort. However, these do take time as they need about 2 hours to bake in the oven. So you can't think to make these for a snack that you need ready in 20 minutes. These turned out really good (and made the house smell delicious!) but I wouldn't say that they are a to-die-for sort of snack. They're tasty and something different than the usual snack so I'm sure I'll make them again. The kids enjoyed them but didn't rave on and on about them or anything. And Les wasn't home so he didn't get to try them.  :)


#30. And while the apple chips were baking - look at me, multi-tasking! - I went to work on my second pin. I found a pin on how to clean your bath towels to give them new life again. Apparently the pin is taken from here although it wasn't a direct link to the post (hate it when that happens) so it was good that all instructions were in the pinned comments.

The comments said:  "Over time, towels build up detergent and fabric softener, leaving them unable to absorb as much water and become smelly. Recharge them by washing them once with hot water and 1cup vinegar, then a 2nd time with hot water and half cup baking soda. This strips the residue and leaves them fresh and able to absorb more water again. Works like a charm!"

So I gave it a whirl after using them yesterday morning, I asked Les if he noticed a difference. We both figure that yes there has been a difference. Nothing astronomical or anything - but then again, these towels are far-from-new so I don't know if anything would really get them in a very noticeable different condition. But we both figured that there was at least some improvement.


I'm glad I pushed myself to find some pins to try this week, even after I figured that my time was up and I wasn't going to have anything to share. I need to continue to find the motivation to accomplish more of my pins as every week goes by. How about you? Did you try any new pins this week?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Every so often I wash our towels with vinegar in hot water and then again with detergent. Sometimes they start getting that rank smell and this makes them fresh again. I love it!
A few weeks ago I tried a pin - making doll hair smooth and pretty again. It's a neat trick! You can borrow my tools if you want to try it sometime too. And I made a delicious breakfast casserole not long ago that I had pinned as well. What ever did we do before the joy that is Pinterest!?

Kathy and Carl said...

I should totally try that with the towels. I would have never thought!