Thursday, November 8, 2012

worry warrior

I'm a worrier. Plain and simple. I worry about whether it's going to rain tomorrow to prevent my hubby from putting in his hours at work. I worry about my kids getting sick - especially this time of year. I worry about what someone is going to think if I give my opinion on something that goes against the grain. I worry about the fact that I might not be the best person to be teaching my girls how to play the piano. I worry about Malia struggling with reading. I worry about raising teenage daughters in the coming years. I worry about gaining my weight back. I worry about offending people with the way I often withdraw from social situations. I worry about how much I worry.

I used to always wonder why worry was considered a sin. Afterall, it's a feeling right? And aren't we entitled to feel the way we feel? 

But over the last many years, the reasoning behind that has begun to make sense to me. I found an article written by Dr. Larry Ollison that explains it really well, and here are a few excerpts from it:

"Worry, which is a type of fear, is the opposite of faith. In the English language we have words that have opposite meanings. If I were to ask you the opposite of hot, you would immediately say cold. If I asked you the opposite of up, you would quickly say down. If I asked you the opposite of east, you would immediately say west. Why? Because they are opposites. They not only are opposed to each other, they can not exist together at the same time.

Sometimes when you translate from one language to another, the meaning can be lost. That’s the case with worry. In the Hebrew language the opposite of worry is faith. Remember worry is a type of fear.

In the same way that you can not be going up and down at the same time because they are opposites, you can not be in worry and be in faith at the same time. When you are in faith, you are not in worry. And when you are in worry, you are not in faith."


He goes on to say:

"Worry is a tool of Satan. He knows that if he can get you to worry, you will not be in faith. When you are not in faith, you will be ineffective as a Christian. So today I will tell you the same thing Jesus did. Do not worry. No matter how bad things look, do not worry."

My worry is a sin because it means I am not trusting in God. Yes, feelings are feelings - but it's how you react to those feelings that can cause something sinful. And if I am consumed with worry about one thing and another...and another...and another...that's the complete opposite of faith and without faith I will be ineffective as a Christian.

As humans, sinning is inevitable. We all sin each and every day. So yes, there will be times when I will still worry - and therefore be without faith. But my prayer is that I can recognize it as the sin that it is, repent, and start with a clean slate day after day. I want to give my worry to God instead of my worry taking away from God.

This "worry-wart" has a lot of work to do in this area...but I'm going to do my best!

5 comments:

LaughingLady said...

Ugh, another one of life's never-ending battles. At least, for most of us! This one comes and goes for me, but I've found there seems to be a link between worry/self-pity and how faithful I am with my Bible reading and praying on my daily walk. I don't think that's a coincidence!!

Jenn said...

I struggle with worry too. My mom always tells me the same thing that you talked about here - worrying means lack of faith. And if you really think about it, worrying can't change what's going to happen. Giving it to God makes everything so much easier to handle - but giving it isn't always so easy. :)

Karen said...

I'm in that same boat. I guess my worry or fear is about the world around me. And I'm with you, in that its a lack of faith. I'm old enough to know better, and what I actually recognize when I have anxiety, is that I get paralyzed by the fears, I'm literally good for nothing. I am sooooo thankful that I can go to God, repent, confess that I actually KNOW and have e/per I ended HIS faithfulness, to me, but all through history. And it sends me to His word, to podcasts of sermons, to encouraging blogs like yours, and to desire to be more faithful! Thanks for posting this, how'd you now its one of those times lol? Karen

TammyIsBlessed said...

It's one of those realizations that you have to come to on your own in order for it to be of any help. But once you've acknowledged it, you can now fight it! Praying for you in this struggle. We all have them, thank you for being transparent with yours.

Kathy and Carl said...

The snippets of the article were really thought provoking. Thanks for being open and sharing.