Monday, June 3, 2013

finding freedom

I started running again a couple of weeks ago like I do every spring [after failing to give my treadmill much action over the long winter months]. And I didn't exactly e-a-s-e into it this year; I went full-force.

In fact, over the past two weeks [and two days] I have ran a total of 50kms [approximately 30 miles], at my usual 10 and 1 intervals [running 10 minutes, walking 1 minute].

You could say that I was on a bit of a mission...and I was taking it very seriously. But my mission changed part-way through and I am so much happier because of it. You see, the reason I went into it so hard-core at the beginning was because I was trying to prove something to myself. I wanted to "beat" certain people...even if I was the only one who knew what I was doing.

But then something changed with my mind-set and I asked myself the question: "Why did I start running in the first place?"

Here are some of the reasons:

1) To lose weight
2) To be active and healthy
3) To set a good example for my girls
4) To clear my head
5) To get some alone time - or some one-on-one time with a running buddy every once in awhile
6) To be able to eat stuff like this:


Bottom line: I started running for me. It's personal.

So what did I start to do differently part-way through my 50km madness? I started leaving my Garmin watch at home for my runs. And it has made a world of difference, let me tell you. I no longer have any idea if I'm running a 10 minute mile or a 12 minute mile.

And I don't care.

I know where my mile-markers are so I know when is the approximate time to take my walk break - and when to pick up with the running again. Why do I need a watch then?

Now I run strictly for the enjoyment - yes, enjoyment - of running. I run because of how it makes me feel. I feel in control of my health. I feel released from the stress that was building up during the day. I feel proud of myself for getting out there. I feel good.

I don't need to feel disappointed in myself if I don't reach that mile-marker in a certain amount of time. I don't need to keep looking at my watch and realizing that I'm running slower today and beat myself up if I don't start to pick up the pace. I don't need to worry about if someone else is doing it faster. I don't need to push myself so hard to beat my latest record.

Some of you might think that it's good to have the motivation of "the watch" though...something to push myself to go faster. But why, I ask? Why do we always think that our best isn't good enough? Why do we constantly need to tell ourselves that we can do better?

I'm out there - very consistently - running 3 miles [5km] every time. I'm getting in my exercise - does it matter if I do it in 35 minutes or 32 minutes...or 30 minutes? No, I don't think it does.

I'm exhausted of mentally never feeling as good as someone else. I'm tired of thinking that I have to get out there 5 or 6 days a week. And honestly, I am not a fan of the "no excuses" mantra. Certainly there is danger of letting excuses keep you from doing anything - but NO excuses?

I don't buy that.

Last weekend, for example, there was a day where it would've been a good evening for a run. I was planning to go for a run. But we had had yet another busy day and I hadn't spent much time with my kiddos. So instead I chose to stay home for a change. I joined them on the couch as they watched an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" and I had a bedtime snack with them. I used up the last of the daylight hours to tell my kids that they were more important to me than an evening run. Sure, we may just have been watching TV - but they felt special.

There are many times where I don't feel like running - but I do it anyway. And there are also other times where I make the choice to not head out for a run sometimes. Do I need to beat myself up over it, telling myself that there are NO excuses? I must run...no matter what?!

I am choosing to say no to that. For personal reasons. You might disagree with me, but that's okay.

I need to re-claim the reasons I started running to begin with. With motivation to say yes more than no, certainly. But to say good-bye to the pressure and to doing it to try to be better than somebody else. Or to fit into somebody else's mold of what they think I should be doing.

I'm not saying I will never wear my watch again. Especially if I am specifically training for something and want to set a specific goal for a specific event - because yes, sometimes it is good to have something to strive towards. But as a rule, I want to find freedom in my running.



*This post is also posted on my Mission: Possible blog.

8 comments:

LaughingLady said...

"There are many times where I don't feel like running - but I do it anyway. And there are also other times where I make the choice to not head out for a run sometimes."

That right there is the difference between just making excuses not to run and choosing wisely how to spend your time. Exercise is never an UNwise choice for the here and now, but let's face it, it is of no eternal value. Choosing to NOT run and instead be intentional about investing in relationships ~ especially with spouses and children ~ is choosing between good, better, and best.

(of course, discernment and discipline are necessary too, because ~ for myself, anyway ~ the temptation would be to justify snacking on the couch in front of the TV with my kids or hubby every evening this way! ;)

Now go forth and run like the wind!!

pam said...

I don't think kids see it as "just watching tv". I rarely ever watch tv with my kids (mostly because the main purpose of having them watch something is so I can get other stuff done -- and their shows drive me a little crazy), but when I do occasionally sit down with them and watch, they think it's the greatest thing ever. So I'm sure your girls appreciated that you took the time to be with them, regardless of the activity. :)

Leeann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leeann said...

LOVE this.
So proud of you. Always have been. <3
You inspire me, more than you know.

Kathy said...

I needed to read this today. Though I'm not a runner, I often do things in comparison to other people, like there's a standard out there I have to measure up to. This week especially I have had to let go of that crazy expectation, so thanks for your words!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Great post Andrea and so very true.

Loved Tammi's phrase - you're choosing between good, better and best. And some days going for a run can be any of those three!

Muneer Hussian said...

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

case study solution
case study solution
case study solution
case study solution

hbr case solution
hbr case solution
hbr case solution
hbr case solution

case solution
case solution
case solution
case solution

case solution
case solution
case solution
case solution

Adams Scott said...

This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and new initiatives in the same niche. The blog gave us useful information to work. You have done an amazing job!
Advertising agencies in Karachi | Advertising agencies in Pakistan