Tuesday, June 11, 2013

thankful through the pain

If you keep up with me on Facebook or Instagram, then you will have probably read that yesterday I threw my back out. Big-time. Now, this happens from time to time over the past several years and I'm not really sure what triggers it. Some of the times it has happened while I've been working out, but other times - including yesterday - it just happened while doing nothing. All of a sudden I literally could just not stand up straight from the pain. Out of nowhere!

This picture was taken towards the end of the evening yesterday to show that this was the straightest I had been able to stand all day since the incident around 9am. I was doubled almost in half at the worst parts of the day.


As past experience has shown me, there are times when the next day there is remarkable improvement. Not enough where I can totally walk normal and necessarily do everything like usual - but enough where I can still carry on with my scheduled tasks. This time, however, that is not the case. I was supposed to work this morning (a.k.a. clean a house) but it was clear at 6am that it was not happening. It literally took me about 5 minutes to get myself out of bed and to the bathroom. And on my way back, I was suffering from sheer exhaustion from my earlier efforts and I had to ask Les to help me back into bed.

And I cried.

Oh the pain is so bad. I tried to get some more sleep, as I didn't have to get up until just after 7:30 but it was to no avail. I finally crawled out of bed again (Les having left for work already) and managed to slowly change out of my pajamas. From there I literally crawled on all fours to Joelle's room to wake up the girls for school. Since then I have been on the couch unless I have to use the bathroom.

So why am I thankful? While I'm not thankful FOR the back pain, I am thankful for the things that have happened to help get me THROUGH it.

1) I am thankful that my girls are old enough to help out when I am out of commission. Yesterday they made supper (Kraft Dinner and cut-up weiners) and cleaned up the kitchen afterwards while Les was working late. I suspect today will be much the same...although perhaps take-out is in order tonight!

2) I am thankful that my job is flexible and I can re-schedule cleaning clients as needed - like today!

3) I am thankful for friends who bring me heating pads and pain meds when I am unable to drive to the store to pick them up myself (and maybe someone who will be able to pick up our supper tonight too!).

4) I am thankful that one friend even when beyond that and surprised me with a cinnamon bun too!

5) I am thankful that this didn't happen over the weekend when we were having a blast at our small town's local fair.

6) I am thankful for the phone call of a friend who has experienced the same kind of pain and who truly understands what I am going through, who offered encouragement and tips.

7) I am thankful for the prayers and well wishes of my friends and family.

And now I will hobble to the kitchen to find something to eat for lunch before reclaiming my spot on the couch where I will rot my brain with mindless TV and pray that tomorrow will be a better day...

 

2 comments:

TammyIsBlessed said...

Those are a lot of things to be thankful for! Definitely got the right mental attitude going on, even though there will be tough moments to come, that attitude will help get you through it. Praying it heals quickly!

pam said...

Sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. Will pray for a quick recovery.